Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I plan to upgrade my rig (see sig) with a Thermaltake Armor ATX case, going to yank out the back fan and put in a 120mm LED fan.

My questions to you guys:
1) Which 120mm LED Fan is: Durable, quiet and moves decent Amount of Air?
2) Is there something bad about this case that I should know of?
3) I am probably going to buy the PC P & C 750W PSU, it is 7inches deep, would it create problems with the Tt Tower?
4) I plan to buy a Fan controller that fits in a bay, I noticed that some only work with 3 pins outlet, but the CPU fan is a 4-pin and I would like to control that. Which one should I buy so that I can play around with the CPU fan speed?

+ rep for useful infos provided
Thanks

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
1.) There isn't that much variation among 120mm fans. They all pretty muich move the same amount of air, make the same amount of noise, and are the same durability. (Atleast from what i have noticed).

2.) & 3.) Thermaltake makes VERY good cases. I wouldn't be worried about any serious case problems or the power supply not fitting.

4.) You really really really want the motherboard to controll the CPU fan. The best way to control the CPU fan is with software in windows, not with a hardware controller. Why use a manually fan controller when you can right a algorithm in windows to controll it much more efficently?

If you insist on manually controlling you CPU fan with a fan controller, you can just solder on a 3 pin connector (or get a adaptor) in place of the 4 pin connector. I am pretty sure 2 of the 4 pins are for power, and the other 2 are for monitoring fan speed.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
To answer question 4, the Scythe Kaze Master uses a four-pin header (one of the pins is blank, but you're not going to use PWM with a fan controller anyway), and also shows you how fast your fans are spinning. It's a great controller, I use one myself and love it.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
I also have a Scythe Kaze Master and really like it. The Sunbeam Rheobus is another that a lot of people like around here. It's more utilitarian and less expensive. The LED readout on the Scythe won me over, though.

I just swapped most of my case fans out for some high-speed Yate Loon blue LED fans. They are freakin' AWESOME. Turned all the way up, they push a ton of air. But dialed back with the fan controller, they don't make any funny sounds and are very quiet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts