Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a i7-860 as a gift. and I'm planning to build a HTPC/NAS combo around this cpu. I'm a totally newbie at this please give your suggestions.

This build will be basically be a 24/7 box sit next to the TV, a little noise from the harddrives will not bother me much. I'm thinking 4x 1TB Harddrives.
And it will serve these purposes

- Streaming avi/mkv/rmvb files regularly
- Plays Blu-Ray movies occasionally
- Storage for all my important files & backups my other 3 pcs weekly
(pictures/word documents/outlook email backups/movies etc.)
- File Sharing through out the home network
- FTP server & Ventrilo server
- Plays MAME games on big television occasionally

I have no intention to make it to be a DVR box or anything, the list above should be everything that I need.

Please give your inputs or link components that you think it will be suffice for my needs.

much appreciated~~ thanks!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
buy a micro ATX board. Some cheap DDR3 memory, a decent and quiet power supply and anything under the 5670 ATI series cards and you will be laughing.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dexmaus View Post
I recently received a i7-860 as a gift. and I'm planning to build a HTPC/NAS combo around this cpu. I'm a totally newbie at this please give your suggestions.

This build will be basically be a 24/7 box sit next to the TV, a little noise from the harddrives will not bother me much. I'm thinking 4x 1TB Harddrives.
And it will serve these purposes

- Streaming avi/mkv/rmvb files regularly
- Plays Blu-Ray movies occasionally
- Storage for all my important files & backups my other 3 pcs weekly
(pictures/word documents/outlook email backups/movies etc.)
- File Sharing through out the home network
- FTP server & Ventrilo server
- Plays MAME games on big television occasionally

I have no intention to make it to be a DVR box or anything, the list above should be everything that I need.

Please give your inputs or link components that you think it will be suffice for my needs.

much appreciated~~ thanks!!

A bit overkill for what you're looking at doing. I have a Regor am3 with 2GB and a 4350 it handles everything I throw at it (HD, SD, streaming, etc.). The file storage will add a bit, but not too bad.

To future proof yourself, I'd look at a 5450 or 5550 to handle your HDMI out (video & audio)

Also, you might like to have one faster drive, say a 640GB caviar black (7.2k) or similar for your OS and then have two or three green / lower spin drives for your data needs.

If you went with 3 drives, you could then do something like the LIAN LI PC-V352B - which would make a nice little unit (with a midline matx board)

Or a larger case with the LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C33B

If you want to keep the 4 drives, look more for a Silverstone case. (like the SILVERSTONE LC10B-E that has 7x bays). Most small towers / desktop (read:media centers) don't have more than 2 3.5" internals.

Good luck on the build. Let us know how it works out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts