Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my cmos battery out to reset my bios. I then waited about an hour and reinstalled the battery. But know when I try and turn my computer on nothing happens!!! nothing at all, no post no lights nothing. Please help!

I tryed reinstalling the battery think I somehow did that wrong but that didn't work. It was working just fine before I took the battery out.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by BSman

I took my cmos battery out to reset my bios. I then waited about an hour and reinstalled the battery. But know when I try and turn my computer on nothing happens!!! nothing at all, no post no lights nothing. Please help!

I tryed reinstalling the battery think I somehow did that wrong but that didn't work. It was working just fine before I took the battery out.

The battery may notbe makin all of the connection, did you bend the holding piece out when removing the battery?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

The battery may notbe makin all of the connection, did you bend the holding piece out when removing the battery?

Ya, I did but i bent it back.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by BSman

Ya, I did but i bent it back.

Make sure it is making the full contact. Also for future CMOS cleaning use insert when booting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

Make sure it is making the full contact. Also for future CMOS cleaning use insert when booting

OKay, I am sure the battery is installed properly. Is there anything else that could be wrong? I would think it is dead but it was working 3 hours ago.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
When the power on the PSU is on, do you see the LED on the mobo lit up?

If so you mobo may have to charge the battery.

Quote:


Originally Posted by BSman

OKay, I am sure the battery is installed properly. Is there anything else that could be wrong? I would think it is dead but it was working 3 hours ago.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

When the power on the PSU is on, do you see the LED on the mobo lit up?

If so you mobo may have to charge the battery.

no the light does not come on
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Correct me if i am wrong, but a dead/not connected CMOS battery should not prevent a machine from booting? I thought it would just stop the BIOS from saving settings when the machine is off?

Have you installed the battery the right way round?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
BSman, correct me if I'm wrong, but arn't you using a laptop? I don't think its too smart to take the battery out in a laptop...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ShawnMcGrail said:
BSman, correct me if I'm wrong, but arn't you using a laptop? I don't think its too smart to take the battery out in a laptop...[/QUI OTE]

Yes the puter in my sig is a laptop, but I have a total of 5 computers. My current problems are with my file server.

Thanks for the answers guys and I finally got it working. I tryed installing the battery again for the like 20th time and it started working so f me if I know what was wrong.

Now however I have a different problem. same computer. Im going to start a new thread though.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top