Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished building the rig in my sig, and it's great so far. I was planning on using my 8800gt until the next great video cards came out, but now that my rig is on my table top and closer to me I can hear that my 8800gt doesn't have much life left to give. I'm looking for suggestions on a replacement. Or if you think I should just stick it out say so and why.

I have no brand preference. I might do dual card in the future but not atm. My budget is max $ 400.

·
Registered
901 Posts
A reference 5850 and overclock the hell out of it and add another one in the future. (or a used 5870)
Or simply CF 5770 and you eliminate the chance to upgrade in the future but you get a tad faster than a 5870.
What resolution and games do you play?

And you can always keep the 8800GT for PhysX.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It depends on how much you want to spend, i would get either a 5850, 470 or 5870 if your spending between 280-400

·
Registered
3,594 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it seems as if everyone is on board with the ATI cards being on top. I am onboard with the ATI cards I have had many troubles with my 8800GT, so a change in pace would be welcome.

I have read things about stability issues with drivers and such on the ATI cards, is this still an issue?
Also, I have read that the Nvidia cards have higer AA is this not useful enough and, still the ATI cards trump Nvidia?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dude if you want the best go with the gtx 480, also you cannot crossfire with your board for laters only with hacks, Either that or gtx 470, Nvidia owns ATi at tessellation = Dx11. And I'm an ATI big fan waiting HD6000 series.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,882 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
Dude if you want the best go with the gtx 480, also you cannot crossfire with your board for laters only with hacks, Either that or gtx 470, Nvidia owns ATi at tessellation = Dx11. And I'm an ATI big fan waiting HD6000 series.
Why can't I crossfire with my board? It came with a crossfire bridge and sli bridge. My book even says it supports quad GPU crossfire tech

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
if its a SLi/CFX combo mobo, then it can do both!
but lucid hydra is better, it lets you mix/match any card.
GTX295 in SLI/CFX with a 4870X2? yep.

for CFX only boards, you need HAX to make SLI work

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nakattk
View Post

Why can't I crossfire with my board? It came with a crossfire bridge and sli bridge. My book even says it supports quad GPU crossfire tech

Oh yeah I saw, I have read bad info I apologize.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Stick it out, stick it out! The nun said to the bishop.

Anyway, HD6000 is coming in only a few months. We'll see boxed product this fall. If you can wait you'll get a great card that has the heat, power and noise characteristics of the current HD5000 series but performance matching or even exceeding the gtx480. Best of both worlds.

So be patient. You know what they say about guys with poor impulse control...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts