Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was able to play modern warfare 2 on 1440 X 1280 with high settings and soon after my fps were slowing down and i had to lower settings to 800 X 600 with lowest settings just to get 30 fps, i'm very frustrated as to why it happens. plus it happens to all my other games including team fortress 2!
your help would be very appreciated

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Moar ramz. u needs it.

Neither MW2 or TF2 are particularly GPU intensive games, so I'm assuming that your RAM is at a bottleneck.

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
Download MSI Afterburner - http://www.overclock.net/ati-drivers...ge-1350-a.html

Click RESET so you go back to stock & stock voltages

Go reset all of your RAM timings (Or make them slower like if they are 8 make them 10)

Remove 10.6 drivers and install 10.5

10.5 - http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...?&lang=English

Also download the 10.5 Application Profiles under this one

What are your GPU / CPU Temperatures? What did you change / install since last time

Also TF2 is CPU Intensive same **** as Bad Company 2

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am running windows xp, still need more ram?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and is there any way to display ram usage while playing games?

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's not your RAM, I have 2GB and can play anything...

If you were playing at high settings before and now you can't then something has changed in your PC or something is faulty. Most probably the graphics card.

I'm guessing the 5450 doesn't need any additional power from the PSU? Is your PSU powerful enough?

You need to test each of your components to find out what's wrong, see if you can drop in a spare graphics card and test that? Or put your graphics card in another machine?

Could also be drivers, but I don't see why it would work and then stop working.

You could also simply try reseating all your components and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yea its probably driver or somethign because I constantly hit the maximum fps in MW2 on 2gb of ram and thats at max settings @1360x768

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the game works just that slower than before. lol. i was thinking defragmenting? would that help?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its certainly not the ram, defragmenting whould not help much either, uninstall all gfx related drivers, then run driver cleaner (use google..if u r in doubt) then install the latest driver(10.6 or 10.5) and see whether it resolves the issue,
TBH your gpu doesnt have the muscle to give decent frame-rates above 1kx resolutions anyway, turn all the settings down (especially fsAA) and see for any improvement..

is your cpu/gpu overclocked ? if so what are ur temps, maybe the clocks are being throttled due to excessive oc/temps..

·
Registered
657 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wizek
View Post

i am running windows xp, still need more ram?

Even in xp for gaming etc. Id suggest 4 gb, also use the 10.5 driver as stated above and if you havent go on and defrag your hdd that helps a lot if you see a hit in performance from my experience

·
Registered
112 Posts
Defragging won't hurt, but it won't be the cause of lower fps all of a sudden

I know this sounds like a generic question but are you sure you haven't installed something or something's running taking up lots of CPU or RAM?

Or you could have a virus?

I know it sounds silly but I have no idea who you are and what you're like using a PC lol

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank guys!
i know it was a long time i'll run a defragment, a virus scan and then finally i'l' see if there still are problems. if there are then i would be thinking of upgrading to 4GB ram and to either a ATI 5750/5770 or a NVIDIA 460GTX
which is better? anyway is there a program that would display system ram usage?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow, then i guess its the graphic card and minor stuff. i'd love to trade the graphic card locally

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that would be sell my graphic card for SGD$100 and by the GTX460 for and extra SGD$160 lol thats big but i guess it'll serve me well especially Crysis on three moniters and Full settings? right?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does NVIDIA card have a nice control panel like the ATI catalyst ones?

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
Yes, Nvidia has a very nice control panel, it's a bit different in style to CCC, but you'll get used to it. If you can't get a good price on the 460, then look for a 5770, they are great little cards too.
On the other hand, maybe your windows is just a bit messed up, a backup/wipe/reinstall may be the easiest answer.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You can try out the blackviper safe regs for clearing up some ram.:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/registry.htm

you can always use the default reg to get it back to normal.

or make your own by using the "Custom Services Registry Tool".Almost all XPs services can be shut off. Cleaning, defraging and tweaking can do a little bit to. uninstall all you don't need and disable stuff running at startup in msconfig. check your task manager to for apps hugging up memory.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ If you wan't to see if you have any spyware.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts