Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I wonder if somebody can help me with my loop design. I currently have the following setup with AIO cooler for CPU (Hydra) and a custom loop for 4 GPUs. Hydra's radiator is on top of the box with fans pulling the air down. The radiator for GPU loop is on the front side of the PC chassis and it is also pulling the air out. I have a single 140mm fan on the back pulling the air out. It all works reasonably well except that I see higher than expected air temperature on the sensor I placed directly on top of the Hydra radiator. It is higher than the room temperature by about 5C. I suspect that the air pulled out by the back fan is getting sucked back into the upper rad and thus screwing my temperature a bit.

I have the following redesign plan for this PC:
1) Get rid of the hydra and merge the loops
2) Add one 140mm rad on the back and one 280mm rad on top
3) Reverse the flow for the back fan and also for the top fans.

One thing I am not sure about is whether it even makes sense to put a radiator on top where it would only get the air pushed in through other two radiators. At the moment I get anywhere between 35c and 43c air temperature inside the box (based on another sensor I placed there). Any advice on this?
I am also not sure whether my D5 pump would be enough to handle 3 radiators, 1 EK CPU waterblock, 1 EK GPU waterblock and then 4 cheap Chinese waterblocks running in parallel.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Hi there

D5 should be OK there for such loop,I have run 3*GPUs and CPU plus 360mm and 240mm radiator on single DDC and still temperatures has been pretty good

Hard to say if yours temperatures are OK, all depends on ambient temperature and do you have water temperature sensor?

Then you will know what is yours ambient to inside/interior delta, in my case in during the heavy load in mining or rendering is around 4-5°C(ambient is 21°C and inside case temperature is 25-26°C)

Then you have here water delta T which is measured by ambient and water temperature and difference between two is yours delta T, in my case water temperature is in region 26°C during the heavy load or mining or rendering in ambient 21°C

I would merge loops there, that's without the question, if you want good radiator then I would suggest get MO-ra3 360mm or 420mm with this you should be able keep low water delta T and at reasonable noise levels as yours case bit small and MO-ra3 is external radiator

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
184 Posts
D5 should be plenty strong for the bits you have or want to add!

Your current fan setup is ideal, its a lot easier for the air to escape your case when blown in then trying to suck air from inside your case out through your rads. Maybe a fan or two on the floor of your case pushing out to help encourage more air movement? or manipulate your case's sitting position 90 degrees so the rear fan blows out into the room and not against the wall.

Your temp sensor that you are getting your ambient's from, where is it? I wouldn't take the reading as 100% accurate, same with your sensor on top of your case, or any other sensor really. there is usually a bit of glide in regards to sensor readings. technically your ambient temp is the sensor on top of your case. really though, "ambient" doesn't matter, just the inlet/outlet air/water temps.

don't try and split hairs too finely in regards to readings or desired outcomes, pc water cooling systems are incredibly small and the temperature differences at different points are going to be fairly close. if you want to monitor, then monitor the difference between entering case air temp and leaving rad temp, or entering water temp to first block and leaving water temp from last block before rad, entering water to first rad and leaving water from last rad. reality is that all these temperatures will be very close to one another.

Use temperatures for monitoring systems to set up fail safe shut down parameters, that's the best use of them. after you get your system set up and stress tested you should be able to ball park what the highest temp you should see on cpu/gpu. then just set up a mobo shut down feature when those readings are exceeded by 20/30 degrees.

If a pump fails, or all your fans decide not to start, those temps will sky rocket past your limits and shut everything down pretty quick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to say if yours temperatures are OK, all depends on ambient temperature and do you have water temperature sensor?
I do in fact, water in the GPU loop fluctuates from ~42C up to 50C on a hot day. Cards themselves are running a few degrees hotter (50-52C). The delta between ambient temp in the room and water is slightly below 15C and inside the case I get about 40C. It is all a bit complicated by the top floor in a hot climate. I can easily bring it down 5-8C by just starting a big fan to blow the hot air away from the general PC case area. External radiator is an idea I am exploring with a second case, this one is more or less satisfactory and I am just thinking of optimization. My other issue is that I started getting some noise from it which I suspect is coming from the AIO cooler when its air intake is over 30C. I think it struggles to keep my CPU below 60.

Your current fan setup is ideal, its a lot easier for the air to escape your case when blown in then trying to suck air from inside your case out through your rads.
I am actually thinking of a case mod with a big fan on the side wall, for now I just keep the case open.

Your temp sensor that you are getting your ambient's from, where is it? I wouldn't take the reading as 100% accurate, same with your sensor on top of your case, or any other sensor really. there is usually a bit of glide in regards to sensor readings. technically your ambient temp is the sensor on top of your case. really though, "ambient" doesn't matter, just the inlet/outlet air/water temps.
One of the temp sensors is before the rad on top of the case. And I am fairly certain it is about 5C higher than what gets through the front rad. Not a huge deal though. May be instead of rerouting the flow I should just merge the loops, which should add a bit of cooling power because I can put a 280mm rad on top. Right now CPU is actually running almost 10C hotter than GPUs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts