Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I built my rig, it gave me quite some satisfactions and never had troubles with it until now!
I've been able to bring my CPU overclock up to a stable 4.6/4.8GHz with ease, but as the temps reached the lower 70°C I decided to stop there. My GPU finds itself comfortable in the 90°C+ range when I game hard, so the thought of OCing it is pure utopy as of now!
I also would like it to be more silent, and even though my AP-15s are not so noisy, I'm looking for even more!
The solution to this my friends, as you will all agree, is watercooling!

I'm a stubborn planner when it comes to my build, so I took myself [more than] enough time to read reviews, hear suggestions and designing my possible loop.
I also decided to change the color scheme, which will be black with some hint of blue, silver and inevitably red (damn you ASUS Maximus!).
The name has been changed too! Crimson Blade is dead... and to its place shall arise...

nocturnal.png

moon.png
NAVIGATION:

✓ Initial Build log
- Boxes in the mail
- Watercooling! (coming soon...)
- Sleeving (future project)

moon.png
THE INSPIRATION:

Skyrim erased my social life, Bethesda you did it again xD
Quote:
Nocturnal is the Daedric Princess of darkness, luck, and the night, known as the the Mistress of Shadows, The Unknowable.
...and so my build shall be, dark and silent, especially at night when I need it the most!

moon.png
SPECS:

Processor: Intel 2600k @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme RoG (Socket 1155)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (4GBx2) 1866MHz 9-9-9-24
Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce GTX580 Superclocked 1536MB
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb WD1002FAEX Sata III
CPU cooling: Corsair H70 in push-pull exhaust
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray writer
Fans: 2X Schyte Gentle Typhoon AP-15 + Corsair case stock fans
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
Monitor: Samsung PX2370 23" FullHD LED 2ms

moon.png
BUILD LOG:

I smoothed up a bit the whole log, I removed some of the unnecessary photos and made some order. Nothing new here but you might want to take a look of what I did until now. So here it is!

Mobo on place! The 800D is massive, it can hold whatever you need! Let's make use of this space!
nocturnal_1.jpg

Some tools and the Builders Bible (ASUS manual hahaha) on top:
nocturnal_2.jpg

Sorry bro, seems like there's no place for you =/
nocturnal_3.jpg

The power of the Sun in my hand! At the beginning I just went to the best CPU available, but eventually it turned out to be one of my best purchases ever! One of the best performance/energy saving ratio ever seen!
nocturnal_4.jpg

Socketed! It almost feels like sex when this baby is going in so easily xD
nocturnal_5.jpg

nocturnal_6.jpg

Close up shots:
nocturnal_7.jpg

RAM ready on the go. Strange enough, I've been sold the 1866MHz kit 0,50€ less than the 1600MHz
kookoo.gif
. Good for me!
nocturnal_8.jpg

nocturnal_9.jpg

They even put a Nanosuit on these DIMMs... boy world is going mad...
nocturnal_10.jpg

PSU time. Another well though purchase, system stability is a must if you plan overclocking!
nocturnal_11.jpg

Gaaaah! Raaaawwwwrrr poweeeer!
nocturnal_12.jpg

nocturnal_13.jpg

nocturnal_14.jpg

The beauty is in the details:
nocturnal_15.jpg

Let's move on to the hot plug bay!

1!
nocturnal_16.jpg

2!
nocturnal_17.jpg

3! Done!
nocturnal_18.jpg

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is for anyone who had an hard time mounting the H70 on a 1155 Socket. The screw holdings go this way:
nocturnal_19.jpg

And the bracket must be clockwise-rotated a bit, otherwise the holes won't fit:
nocturnal_20.jpg

The rest is a cake!
nocturnal_21.jpg

nocturnal_22.jpg

nocturnal_23.jpg

Optical blu-ray drive from LG. Does its job.
nocturnal_24.jpg

Let's connect!
nocturnal_25.jpg

nocturnal_26.jpg

This small dude saved my arse. It is a patch cord for the 8pin EATX12V motherboard plug, since the PSU cable was too short to reach the MoBo port. Just when I almost gave up, cursing Corsair for not including a longer cable, I found it the case box! Thanks Corsair for thinking about me
thumb.gif

nocturnal_27.jpg

ASUS RoG beautiful back ports cover
nocturnal_28.jpg

My holidays in NY city, here the skyline panorama... oh noes, wait, this is the back of my GTX580
applaud.gif

nocturnal_29.jpg

This beast is like a skyscraper!
nocturnal_30.jpg

My cable management sucks
sad-smiley-002.gif
I'll have a better chance to fix it after sleeving... for now it's hidden so who cares!
nocturnal_31.jpg

DONE!
nocturnal_32.jpg

All in place!
nocturnal_33.jpg

True power unfold
gunner2.gif

nocturnal_34.jpg

nocturnal_35.jpg

nocturnal_36.jpg

Fresh Win 7 installation:
nocturnal_37.jpg

Ready to go! Dovakhiin dovakhiin! =D
nocturnal_38.jpg

moon.png
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR STOPPING BY AND GIVING A LOOK, I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS LOG! MUCH HAS BEEN DONE BUT EVEN MORE MUST BE ACCOMPLISHED!

I also hope you will have loads of comments for me! I'm not close-minded, I appreciate everyone's point of view. If you decide it needs some improvements, send me a tip! If you decide it sucks, tell it but explain why so I can change what's wrong.

PEACE!

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
None of the pictures work....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Is it just me or are all those images you just linked broken? "The image or video has been moved or deleted"

edit: oh not just me

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run N. Gun;12999673
Pictures are starting to work. System looks great! You're going to have some great fun with that rig.
cool.gif
Finally! So much work and then I screw up with the pics... great
laugher.gif

·
Registered
374 Posts
great_scott_400.png

That looks great. Rep+ for you! Keep us posted.

·
ShakinHips
1,902 Posts
Hey your build is nice you going to Watercool it (other then the h70-or h60 or whatever)

OHHHH
where you hotswapable drives controllers are
What you should do is make a little case that would cover that but thin enough to not cover the fan at all( ill make a diagram soon)

hotswapcover.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by odin2free;13200658
Hey your build is nice you going to Watercool it (other then the h70-or h60 or whatever)

OHHHH
where you hotswapable drives controllers are
What you should do is make a little case that would cover that but thin enough to not cover the fan at all( ill make a diagram soon)

hotswapcover.jpg
it comes with one he is either missing it or not using it. Nice build looks exactly like mine except I have a gtx 570, and the upgraded sata hot swap backplane

·
Registered
147 Posts
I recommend putting the 800D On your desk on either the left or right. A case this large is mean't to be seen. And it gives you that cubicle look if you're desk is long enough to support it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Loving the cable management. +Rep

1 - 20 of 42 Posts