Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For awhile i have strictly been overclocking my GPU. I have not yet had the courage to take a step into overclocking my CPU yet. (primarily cause i dont have a job so if i mess up my processor im screwed). So at stock my CPU is 3.2 Ghz, i wanna try to go too 3.4 Ghz with complete stability. all my listed parts for my "Blue Beast" build are up-to-date. Using Core-temp it shows that idle my CPU temp is 42C. Havent gotten to check under load yet. Also my Phenom II x4 955 IS Black Edition.

So really im wondering where should i start? Also any ideas for tools i should use?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
CPU-Z is handy for checking the FSB and vCore - but other than that, overclocking should be done entirely from the BIOS. Speedfan is great for checking temperatures as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i have it at 3.4 Ghz atm using AMD overdrive. Running a stability test now. How long should i run to check for 100% stability? also, its at 59C atm under 100% load. is this ok? i read 60 should be about max.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Is this the 880GM or 880GMA UD2H?

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4344;15209739
Ok i have it at 3.4 Ghz atm using AMD overdrive. Running a stability test now. How long should i run to check for 100% stability? also, its at 59C atm under 100% load. is this ok? i read 60 should be about max.
Your hitting 59C Core Temp under load so you'll want to back that clock down till you get better cooling. Too easy to exceed 60C for extended periods with the stock cooler.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yeah, you're gonna need better cooling. At stock speeds your 955 should be alright at 1.25 vcore. Overclocking to 3.4 just seems silly. I have been able to get 3870MHz at 1.375.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Backed down the voltage from 1.4 stock to 1.375. (Not relating to your post). And again im surei could do a hella lot better but atm i have never OC'ed a CPU so im cautious atm. Also atm while i am running a test at the new settings the temp seem's too be holding at 56. (bouncing off 55 and 56). So looks like i dropped a few degrees at least.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by h4344
View Post

Backed down the voltage from 1.4 stock to 1.375. (Not relating to your post). And again im surei could do a hella lot better but atm i have never OC'ed a CPU so im cautious atm. Also atm while i am running a test at the new settings the temp seem's too be holding at 56. (bouncing off 55 and 56). So looks like i dropped a few degrees at least.

The general consenus I read when doing my first OC is that AMD chips LOVE the cold, so OCs that would be stable otherwise will crash if they get too hot. With 60 C as the max, I tried not to let mine get over 50 C with 100% load, as the last thing I need is to degrade my chip before I can afford to buy a new one.

It sounds from ALUCARDVPR's post that you might be getting a better cooler, which will help tremendously. If that was more of a suggestion on his part, here's a post that references rebates on some decent air cooling options on a budget: http://www.overclock.net/online-deal...-99-after.html I use the zalman equivalent with 1600-2000 rpm fans, and it works pretty well.

Prime 95 - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/browse.php?c=18 is an excellent way to test stability and get the processor up to 100% instantly. You can leave it there as long as you like (unless it crashes your system, indicating an unstable OC) to monitor temps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts