Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Perfection @ 4GHz
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My System Configuration:
MB: Asus P5Q Pro Turbo (upgraded to 0602 bios; no mod)
RAM: 2X 2GB OCZ XTC Platinum 1066 DDR2 5-5-5-18 (installed on the yellow DIMMs. I only see option to set them to 800 in BIOS; i know this particular RAM model is not on MB's Qualified RAMs list)
CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 R0 (Socket 775 LGA; 2.5GHz; FSB 200MHz)
CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H-50 (air blow out instead of blow in as suggested by Corsair)
Case fans: 5 X 120mm Cooler Master (90CFM green LED; 2 on top, 2 on side, and 1 on the front; kinda noisy though).
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS

Additional Info:
- BIOS manual set RAM at 400 and timings 3-4-4-10 tRFC to 35.
- With Turbo V: CPU FSB is set to 288MHz; DRAM Voltage: 1.9V gets me 3.6GHz stable.
- I've StepSpeed enabled and CPU ratio on AUTO (varies between X6 to X12.5)
- CPU @ 2.5GHz (EPU-6 @ AUTO) -> idle temp: 26-28C; load temp: 35C.
- CPU @ 3.6GHz (using Turbo V with EPU-6 disabled/shut off) -> idle temp: 28C; load temp: 38C.
- MB temp: 19C mostly.

What recommended OC settings should be used in the BIOS and/or in Turbo V to have CPU to reach 4GHz and above stably? Thanks in advance!

Problems I'm facing [Updated]:

[Solved]- I can set OCZ platinum RAMs to run (1066) in dual channel mode while overclocking, but it is not stable (it made the system halt/reboot), and neither was it stable at 1024 (while set to 800 seemed okay), they need more voltage maybe?
[Still testing]- Yet to stably overclock above 4GHz... doesn't seem to be stable running stress tests anywhere above 4GHz.

·
Perfection @ 4GHz
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying michaeljr1186, but looking at the system info you've provided, we might have quite different systems. If you may provided me with bios settings i can use to alter factory's. Much appreciated.

·
Perfection @ 4GHz
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone uses Asus P5Q Pro Turbo MB here? I'm looking for recommended OC settings to use in BIOS and/or Turbo V to max out my Intel E5200 R0 CPU's potential.

I also appreciate if anyone can provide me with direct links to needed info as there are virtually a couple hundred pages of discussions on e5200 overclocking. Thanks in advance.

·
Perfection @ 4GHz
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update 2: Yes!!! I've overclocked my E5200 to 4 GHz!!! Seems to be stable, I noticed the core voltage has auto increased from 1.244 V to 1.344 V... FSB @ 320... I made changes in the BIOS w/o the use of software boost. It seems better that way.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Hey there

Nice to see you got to 4GHz.
I got my E5200 up to 4.512GHz.

I would strongly recommend setting your voltages manually.
Also my mobo loves to have high northbridge voltages, dont know about yours but i had to take mine up to 1.4v to get stable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ocman View Post
What recommended OC settings should be used in the BIOS and/or in Turbo V to have CPU to reach 4GHz and above stably? Thanks in advance!
Hey ocman, can I steal your settings to start with? I also have the P5Q Pro Turbo with my E5200. I'm just getting started OC'ing this setup and would love to use your settings as a starting point! Prec the help!

·
Perfection @ 4GHz
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead View Post
Hey there

Nice to see you got to 4GHz.
I got my E5200 up to 4.512GHz.

I would strongly recommend setting your voltages manually.
Also my mobo loves to have high northbridge voltages, dont know about yours but i had to take mine up to 1.4v to get stable.
Thanks mcpetrolhead, Nice to know you got it up to 4.5 GHz... I know really know how to use the ai overclock for my board... damn... i'll try increasing voltage later, but can you tell me which voltage to raise to be safe? what's the order of testing when it comes to raising voltages? Thanks.

·
Perfection @ 4GHz
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
Hey ocman, can I steal your settings to start with? I also have the P5Q Pro Turbo with my E5200. I'm just getting started OC'ing this setup and would love to use your settings as a starting point! Prec the help!
Hey Rich_D, I wish I know more to tell you... But here's what I did in the BIOS, as follow:

Set Ai Overclock Tuner to {manual}
Set CPU FSB to {320}
Set DRAM Frequency to {641}
Set DRAM Static Read Control to {Disabled}
Set DRAM Read Training to {Disabled}
Set MEM OC Charger to {Enabled}
Set CPU and PCIE Spread Spectrum both to {Disabled}
Set CPU Margin to {Performance Mode}
I haven't manually change voltages yet...everything else left @ {AUTO} or as they are.

Btw, what's your system configurations like?

I'm still tweaking it, all useful advices are welcomed! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
well most important voltage to change is your Vcore. You can take this all the way up to 1.45v but to begin with keep it under 1.3625v. Watch your temps as increases in voltage cause large temperature increases.

Next voltage to worry about is your northbridge (NB) voltages, there are 2, one is called NB voltage and the other FSB termination voltage (or maybe northbridge termination voltage).

Set these 2 voltages the same as each other. You can take these up to 1.4v (on my board at least), thats what i required to get my computer stable but try 1.3v and see if you have any luck. Make sure there is a fan blowing onto the northbridge heatsink (should be the one that sits between the pci-e x16 slot and the cpu)

The only other voltage i changed was my RAM voltage, also ensure that LLC (load line calibration) is on.

·
Perfection @ 4GHz
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks mcpetrolhead, how about voltage for south bridge and others?

Btw, I've raised the voltages in BIOS:

CPU FSB to 350MHz (up 150 MHz; halt if set to 360)
CPU VCORE to 1.34375V (up ~0.1; CPU-Z shows 1.328)
DRAM voltage to 1.86V (up 0.6)
FSB term. voltage to 1.2V (up 0.1)
NB voltage to 1.2V (up 0.1)
SB voltage to 1.2V (up 0.1)
CPU PLL to 1.52V (up 0.02)

I've also lowered multiplier to 11X... Still observing for stability @ 3.85GHz. 4 GHz halted suddenly when opening a movie file earlier.

Also, what tool is best to overclock ATi AIW HD card? i noticed it's running slightly underclocked by factory default.

As a side note, i noticed about BIOS modding or mBIOS... not sure if safe to try... and not sure if mBIOS would help overclocking my E5200? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Southbridge doesn't have anything to do with overclocking the processor so keep that at stock.
Lock your PCI-e frequency to 100
Increase your NB voltage to 1.3v

As for overclocking your GFX card wait until you have a stable cpu overclock first.

·
Perfection @ 4GHz
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try to up more on NB voltage, and do i need to care to up CPU PLL voltage? Thanks.

Btw, is RivaTuner 2.24 the best tool to overclock ATi AIW HD 3650 card? I'm thinking of trying it later. I've explored ATi Tools only for a little while b4 it halted my system when CPU was not even overclocked. It seemed like a resource hog.

·
Perfection @ 4GHz
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back to 4 GHz now, in BIOS manually set:

CPU Multiplier on AUTO
CPU FSB to 320
DRAM Speed to 640
FSB Term. Volt. to 1.26
NB Volt. to 1.26

Enable/Disable options same as before or on AUTO.
CPU Margin Enhancement to Performance Mode.

I noticed when changing values to 1.28 or 1.3 for NB and FSB term volt. the colour of the number changed to yellow in the BIOS. Does that mean caution?

Also, I noticed CPU Core voltage and CPU PLL has been auto raised to 1.344V and 1.7V respectively in Windows.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ocman
View Post

Thanks mcpetrolhead, btw, your record of 4.512 GHz on E5200 is insanely awesome!!!

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocman
View Post

Back to 4 GHz now, in BIOS manually set:

CPU Multiplier on AUTO
CPU FSB to 320
DRAM Speed to 640
FSB Term. Volt. to 1.26
NB Volt. to 1.26

Enable/Disable options same as before or on AUTO.
CPU Margin Enhancement to Performance Mode.

I noticed when changing values to 1.28 or 1.3 for NB and FSB term volt. the colour of the number changed to yellow in the BIOS. Does that mean caution?

Also, I noticed CPU Core voltage and CPU PLL has been auto raised to 1.344V and 1.7V respectively in Windows.

Make sure all of the power saving features like C1E, speedstep, etc.
Also make sure you are setting your own voltages for Vcore

·
Perfection @ 4GHz
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Make sure all of the power saving features like C1E, speedstep, etc.
Also make sure you are setting your own voltages for Vcore
Make sure all the power saving features are Enabled or Disabled? I got everything enabled except CPUID limit field, it's Disabled.

I've set CPU VCore on AUTO since getting back to 4GHz, as manually setting it didn't give me better luck or voltage accuracy...weird. e.g. I set 1.344, CPU-Z show 1.32V or 1.248V instead.

CPU FSB don't seem to get pass 350 in my previous attempts, such as I tried lowering multiplier to 6x and still can't get 350+ running. It's now 12.5 X 320 @ 4GHz.

mcpetrolhead, if you have p5q pro turbo running stable, what manual values/settings did u use? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Sorry about that mix up... You should have all of those power saving feature disabled, they can cause instability while your overclocking. Once you have a stable overclock you can then re-enable them and see if they will work, for example i have all mine turned on. But turn them off for now in case they are producing instability.

CPU-z will almost ALWAYS show a lower voltage than what you set in the bios, its called Vdrop or Vdroop (cant remember which one), and it is just the way the cookie crumbles, i would strongly recommend you take control of the CPU voltage because:
A) It wont change from the value you set, and
B) Auto setting usually puts in too much voltage and therefore wastes power and creates more heat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts