Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded from a 2400+ to a 3200+ and I have a MSI K7N2 mobo as well. Everything was fine with my 2400+ and I was able to OC it to 2200mhz without any heat problem.

Now with my 3200+, each time I play a 3D game for more than 5 minutes at stock speed (11 x 200 FSB) my temp goes from 57 to 65 (if not more) and the computer crashes. Even if it's running on a Volcano11+ HSF and uses Artic Silver 5 compound. The only setting that seems to be stable is multi 11 x 190 FSB with regular TermalTake compound.

·
Registered
405 Posts
sometimes using T1 on mem timings will increase cpu heat.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoleum

I just upgraded from a 2400+ to a 3200+ and I have a MSI K7N2 mobo as well. Everything was fine with my 2400+ and I was able to OC it to 2200mhz without any heat problem.

Now with my 3200+, each time I play a 3D game for more than 5 minutes at stock speed (11 x 200 FSB) my temp goes from 57 to 65 (if not more) and the computer crashes. Even if it's running on a Volcano11+ HSF and uses Artic Silver 5 compound. The only setting that seems to be stable is multi 11 x 190 FSB with regular TermalTake compound.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Pull your heatsink off and check to see if you are making good contact with the heatsink to the cpu die.

Most often its because the volcano isnt making good contact with your processor...thats all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put too much goo on when i first did it, kept rising over 65deg c and rebooting.

Took the heatsink and fan off. Cleaned it up with the proper gear and put a smaller amount of compound on.

Now works fine.

Rob.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Renfeld

sometimes using T1 on mem timings will increase cpu heat.

I tried 8-3-3-3 and crashed. BTW, I also tried to increase and decrease voltage...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rob27

I put too much goo on when i first did it, kept rising over 65deg c and rebooting.

Took the heatsink and fan off. Cleaned it up with the proper gear and put a smaller amount of compound on.

Now works fine.

Rob.

What temps are you getting now (idle and load)? Were you using the hsf that came with the retail version?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:

What temps are you getting now (idle and load)? Were you using the hsf that came with the retail version?

Im not sure what temp im getting when it runs as a 3200+ as i dont even get into windows, but im pretty sure its in the 60C region.

at the mo its at 56C and its clocked as a 2600+.
But yea you may be right maybe our problems are connected.

err, quoted the wrong text XD

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nujtik

Im not sure what temp im getting when it runs as a 3200+ as i dont even get into windows, but im pretty sure its in the 60C region.

at the mo its at 56C and its clocked as a 2600+.
But yea you may be right maybe our problems are connected.

err, quoted the wrong text XD

You can probably have a reading the BIOS, PC Health or something if it's available in yours.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:

You can probably have a reading the BIOS, PC Health or something if it's available in yours.

yea
its at 63 before it does anything at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

yea
its at 63 before it does anything at all.

HOLY......... That's incredibly high!

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
which bios do you have?

Your machine shouldnt even work right at that temp.
make sure your memory is set at 2.5 333

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

which bios do you have?

Your machine shouldnt even work right at that temp.
make sure your memory is set at 2.5 333

Shouldn't the FSB be 400 since it's a 3200+ ??? I would set it to 3 and attempt a higher FSB... no?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:

Shouldn't the FSB be 400 since it's a 3200+ ??? I would set it to 3 and attempt a higher FSB... no?

I upgraded my bios to the latest just today after having this prob and its the nforce2 chipset, i cant remember the actual name hehe.
I have tried running the machine at 333Fsb and multiplier at 14/13.5/13 but the fastest i can make the computer even display the post is at 2600+
EXCEPT lol when its clocked as a 3200+ and here it reboots when it starts to load windows EXCEPT when the voltage is 1.7xx lol
Perhaps at faster speeds the voltage was too low..
hm
ill try putting it in the 1.7x somewhere and see if it boots into windows.
but why are our cpus heating up to such a rediculus level???

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

My settings are

FSB = 218 (which is 436 FSB)
Multi = 11

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

My settings are

FSB = 218 (which is 436 FSB)
Multi = 11

ok... tried
fsb = 333
multi = 13
vcore = 1.750

didnt work

for the hell of it (ive turned my fan up full about 20mins ago)
i tried
FSB 400
Multi 11
ITS WORKING
IM IN IT NOW!!!
but..
my cpu seems to be kicking around the 47-48 mark with me just being in windows and not doing anything that really pushes it.
also my fan is at full power and full noise. which is not what id like to stick to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

I upgraded my bios to the latest just today after having this prob and its the nforce2 chipset, i cant remember the actual name hehe.
I have tried running the machine at 333Fsb and multiplier at 14/13.5/13 but the fastest i can make the computer even display the post is at 2600+
EXCEPT lol when its clocked as a 3200+ and here it reboots when it starts to load windows EXCEPT when the voltage is 1.7xx lol
Perhaps at faster speeds the voltage was too low..
hm
ill try putting it in the 1.7x somewhere and see if it boots into windows.
but why are our cpus heating up to such a rediculus level???

Well, technically you should not have to increase cpu voltage when running it's at stock speed... Or should it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:

Well, technically you should not have to increase cpu voltage when running it's at stock speed... Or should it?

*shrug*
I dunno i was running a xp2000+ before overclocked to a 2400 and the voltage was at 1.650
anyway
ive rebooted and turned my fan back down, after reboot its at 52 but im sure its going up, was at 51 a min ago. Scared of what will happen if i play a game or encode a film or something.
back down to 51
hmm maybe is stabling.
but what the hell was going on before? that was soooo strange cause i havent done anything except change fan speeds since i got the new cpu.
hmm
well ill leave it at this while i do my course work and if it stays ill start overclocking.
whats your temp crash? and what kinda cooling do you have?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

*shrug*
I dunno i was running a xp2000+ before overclocked to a 2400 and the voltage was at 1.650
anyway
ive rebooted and turned my fan back down, after reboot its at 52 but im sure its going up, was at 51 a min ago. Scared of what will happen if i play a game or encode a film or something.
back down to 51
hmm maybe is stabling.
but what the hell was going on before? that was soooo strange cause i havent done anything except change fan speeds since i got the new cpu.
hmm
well ill leave it at this while i do my course work and if it stays ill start overclocking.
whats your temp crash? and what kinda cooling do you have?

I also had to increase my fan's RPM from 2500 to 3000 and got something stable at 11x190. Personnally, I prefer having a good balance between fan noise/cpu speed. Sure I could get it to run at 11x210, but I would want to bang my head on the wall with my Volcano running at 5000 RPM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:

I also had to increase my fan's RPM from 2500 to 3000 and got something stable at 11x190. Personnally, I prefer having a good balance between fan noise/cpu speed. Sure I could get it to run at 11x210, but I would want to bang my head on the wall with my Volcano running at 5000 RPM.

just played ut2004 for about 5mins and my cpu temp went up to 57. ok this isnt defastating but do all barton 3200xp processors run this hot?
its not leaving much room for over clocking.
im going to get a hold of some articsilver and that should knock at least 5degrees but still.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts