1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So I took my time to OC this bad boy, it idles at around 33-43c ~ mainly 33-38s
In game it's seems to be around 50ish.

Prime managed to crank it up to 89c, but as i'm often told it's not a real life performance thing i've ditched it and i used Intel extreme Utility and Aida64 to benchmark it, during the benchmarks it seemed to hover around 53-58, max probably being 63c. (i've yet to see any program i use really push it to such temperatures)

Are my voltages okay? I'm planning to see if i can go higher or lower with the voltage depnding on where I want to stay, i might actually leave it at 4.3ghz and try to reduce the voltage and see how low it goes.
Is increasing the voltage to 1.250 risky?

Can I expect at least 5 years with these settings? (of course something can always go wrong - but yeah are such expectations realistic?
Thank you in advance

http://imgur.com/a/hVbhm

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Congrats with the OC.

Looks OK, and 1.25v is not bad but I'm sure you can lower it for 4.3Ghz. Any chip can degrade either fast or slow. 5 years is realistic at those settings as long as your CPU does not develope some kind of unexpected fault.
To make the CPU last longer, set the Vcore from static to adaptive so the speed and voltage can downclock. I assume the speed will downclock anyway since your using Intel turbo ratio.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh and i thought adaptive is a no no...

Board is msi-x99a-sli plus if interested.

Also, i just noticed that Cpu PACKAGE seems to be 4-6c hotter, not sure what that means exactly? Should i rely more on the cpu cores themselves or the package?

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeh View Post

Oh and i thought adaptive is a no no...

Board is msi-x99a-sli plus if interested.

Also, i just noticed that Cpu PACKAGE seems to be 4-6c hotter, not sure what that means exactly? Should i rely more on the cpu cores themselves or the package?
The package is the CPU slot. Keep an eye on it. You don't want either to get too hot. If you want the chip to last, enable your power saving features so the voltage and speed can downclock when your using the PC for normal stuff like browsing the internet or listening to music. I just turn off all the power saving in the BIOS before I play a game, then I turn it back on when I'm done so the CPU is not being fed a ton of voltage at all times.
thumb.gif

Edit: Another power saver feature you have disabled is processor integrated VR efficiency FYI.
biggrin.gif

People say to disable the power saving stuff because it can mess with higher end overclocks such as 4.7GHz+

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the fast reply, oh. So i have to enable the power saving features everytime I do this? I'm just unsure where to find them exactly that's all.

So i need to go back to bios whenever I fire up a game?

http://imgur.com/HhjbO76

Is that the setting you meant with adaptive mode(Note: Title of setting) ?

Edit: Wouldn't adaptive mode make it go higher? That means I just have to remove the 1.250 i entered? Or how am i to understand that :), as for processor integrated VR efficiency, where do i usually find this? I'm not quite sure where you saw it on the list

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the fast reply, oh. So i have to enable the power saving features everytime I do this? I'm just unsure where to find them exactly that's all.

So i need to go back to bios whenever I fire up a game?

http://imgur.com/HhjbO76

Is that the setting you meant with adaptive mode(Note: Title of setting) ?

Edit: Wouldn't adaptive mode make it go higher? That means I just have to remove the 1.250 i entered? Or how am i to understand that :), as for processor integrated VR efficiency, where do i usually find this? I'm not quite sure where you saw it on the list
I will try and help you out here.
wink.gif

1) You don't "need" to disable and enable the power saving features before and after a game. That's just a personal preference. Some games can stutter or run slower when power saving is enabled, however a CPU will degrade faster with power saving disabled.

2) Core Voltage Mode (Choice between static and adaptive).

3) Don't remove the 1.25v. Yes, adaptive will increase the voltage, but it might apply way more than 1.25v to ensure the CPU is stable. That's bad if you want it to use the least amount of voltage possible for your overclock.

4) Processor Integrated VR Efficiency, right at the bottom of the second image. It's shown as "Processor Integrated VR effici....."

• Rep+
Reactions: Shadeh

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the explanation. Doesn't actually sound like much of a hassle considering we have ssds these days.

So as you said, switch to adaptive - done.

AS for Processor integrated vr Faults, I have the option to switch it on and off in the Intel ExtremeTuning Utility under advanced tuning > other -> Processor Integrated VR Faults -> Enable or Disable -> Reboot .. done.

Or is this something I'm better off doing in the bios? I heard IETU is pretty reliable.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the explanation. Doesn't actually sound like much of a hassle considering we have ssds these days.
So as you said, switch to adaptive - done.
AS for Processor integrated vr Faults, I have the option to switch it on and off in the Intel ExtremeTuning Utility under advanced tuning > other -> Processor Integrated VR Faults -> Enable or Disable -> Reboot .. done.
Or is this something I'm better off doing in the bios? I heard IETU is pretty reliable.
The setting I saw was called Processor Integrated VR Efficiency. I'd enable it for better power efficiency.

I don't know what Processor Integrated VR fault is. If it is enabled by default in the BIOS then leave it ON I guess...?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts