Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, it's two days I have my 5820k mounted on my x99a sli krait and it's a fenomenal duo. Now I want to make things a little bit more funny.

My heatsink is a prolimatech genesis black edition with two noiseblocker eLoop b12-2

I pushed the "oc genie" button on the mobo (it has two level of oc, I choosed the highest one) and now it works at a max clock of 3.9ghz with 1.15V and temps under maximum Intel Burn Test were 70°C (but with the two gpu fans up to 800rpm, so I guess that if I let them spin to 1200 that is their max I would have had 2-3℃ less)

Now, if I want to check how much can I get out of this cpu, what do I have to do? I'd like to maintain the power saving options (like the one that makes your cpu run slower when in idle) and I really prefear to not go above 80℃ in stress test like Intel Burn Test

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattuz View Post

Hi guys, it's two days I have my 5820k mounted on my x99a sli krait and it's a phenomenal duo. Now I want to make things a little bit more funny.

My heatsink is a prolimatech genesis black edition with two noiseblocker eLoop b12-2

I pushed the "oc genie" button on the mobo (it has two level of oc, I choosed the highest one) and now it works at a max clock of 3.9ghz with 1.15V and temps under maximum Intel Burn Test were 70°C (but with the two gpu fans up to 800 rpm, so I guess that if I let them spin to 1200 that is their max I would have had 2-3℃ less)

Now, if I want to check how much can I get out of this cpu, what do I have to do? I'd like to maintain the power saving options (like the one that makes your cpu run slower when in idle) and I really prefer to not go above 80℃ in stress test like Intel Burn Test
Yep, good idea to stay under 80°C under. Keep it under 1.35v. Getting near or above 1.35v is where it starts to get toasty and will most likely heat up too much to run through stress tests.

Not really sure which overclocking guide on OCN is used for 5820K.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Are you using this motherboard?

MSI x99s SLI PLUS

Anyway, I think it's best you ask questions in this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1510388/haswell-e-overclock-leaderboard-owners-club/18020

You'll find many knowledgeable people there that have overclocked the same CPU or a similar CPU that can give you useful information on how to overclock your CPU.

I think the Haswell & Haswell-E CPU's use similar steps to overclock.
This is my take on CPU overclocking haswell:

You can start with using a manual CPU voltage of lets say around 1.22v. Use a multiplier of 42x to start with. If it doesn't boot or blue screen on startup, push the CPU voltage up by 0.05v each time it happens.

Try keeping it under 1.35v as that's where things start to get toasty.

Use Prime95 v26.6, AIDA64 or Intel XTU (Linpack stress test works too) to stress test your overclock and to test for stability or temperatures. Stress test for desired amount of time until you think it's stable enough. If stress test fails, increase CPU voltage as specified above. If it passes stress test, increase CPU core multiplier until you either reach your desired overclock or it gets too hot to increase CPU voltage / going too close to 1.35v.

Also keep under 80°C-85°C if you can.

Use HWInfo64 for hardware monitoring of most sensors on the motherboard and including CPU voltage. Use RealTemp to monitor the CPU core temperatures in real time.

For CPU VRIN:
Have this around 0.4v above the CPU core voltage. So for example, 1.26 Core voltage would have a CPU VRIN of 1.66v.

Here's some more info too:
http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5775/4/haswell-e-overklocking-workshop-how-to-get-the-most-out-of-the-core-i7-5960x-5930k-and-4820k-step-1-processor-to-45-ghz-or-less

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man!

My mobo is similar to that, is just the krait black and with version I think, it really changes a few things.

I'll try what you suggested, I just don't know what VRIN is, what does it changes?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Quote:

Thanks man!

My mobo is similar to that, is just the krait black and with version I think, it really changes a few things.

I'll try what you suggested, I just don't know what VRIN is, what does it changes?
Source: http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/6755/intel-core-i7-5960x-extreme-edition-s-spec-qfra-cpu-overclocking-guide/index3.html

CPU Input Voltage (CPU VRIN): This is the voltage that the motherboard provides to the CPU, and the CPU then takes this voltage and produces all the other voltages. The default for this voltage is 1.8v, however, increasing this voltage can help a little bit. I would stay under 2.1 on air cooling, as increasing this voltage will increase the delta between this and the other voltages, which will increase the internal CPU VRM's temperatures.

In most cases you will need only around 1.7v to 1.95v for VRIN voltage.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if it is set to 1.8 I'll probably have to reduce it to 1.7-1.75V, because I won't go past 1.3V, is it right?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Quote:

So if it is set to 1.8 I'll probably have to reduce it to 1.7-1.75V, because I won't go past 1.3V, is it right?
Yep, that's about right. If it doesn't work firstly with increasing CPU voltage, then you start increasing the VRIN voltage.

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
With that 1.15 you should be able to reach 4.2, aim for 4.5 with 1.3 or less. Stock VCCIN or VRIN (dont know what MSI is calling it) is ~1.8, and that is likely not going to be enough to overclock much at all, 1.9-1.95 is more realistic.

Benjamen50 pointed you to a good thread, take his advice and head over that way with questions, it will likely get allot more attention.

Here is a BSOD cheat sheet:

0x124 = VCore
0x101 = input
0x1E = VCore
0x50 = RAM/Cache
0x9C = cache or System Agent
0X109 = cache/VDIMM
0x0A = VTT/Sys Agent

good luck!

·
Stock
3,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

With that 1.15 you should be able to reach 4.2, aim for 4.5 with 1.3 or less. Stock VCCIN or VRIN (dont know what MSI is calling it) is ~1.8, and that is likely not going to be enough to overclock much at all, 1.9-1.95 is more realistic.

Benjamen50 pointed you to a good thread, take his advice and head over that way with questions, it will likely get allot more attention.

Here is a BSOD cheat sheet:

0x124 = VCore
0x101 = input
0x1E = VCore
0x50 = RAM/Cache
0x9C = cache or System Agent
0X109 = cache/VDIMM
0x0A = VTT/Sys Agent

good luck!
:thumbsups

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much!

I'll try to reach the max I can get with 1.2V and VCCIN 1.9V

Do you think I should try to oc also my ram? I heard that they can work well 2400 with timings near 12 instead that near 15/16 as with the XMP profile, is it true?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
It is true, but if you're lucky. Some ram can do 2400MHz at pretty good timings while others do worse. Mine are kinda terrible, 13-13-13-33-2T, 1.65v.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks.

I'll tune my ram in the next days, right now I'm trying CPU with 4.2Ghz 1.2V and it seems stable. Pushing OC genie button it sets my ram automatically to 1.35V, i loaded instead the xmp with 2400Mhz Cl14 1.2v, in the next days I'll try 1.35V and lowering the timings (second xmp profile is 2666Mhz CL14 1.35V) so I think I can get some lower timings at 2400Mhz 1.35V

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
Quote:

Thank you very much!

I'll try to reach the max I can get with 1.2V and VCCIN 1.9V

Do you think I should try to oc also my ram? I heard that they can work well 2400 with timings near 12 instead that near 15/16 as with the XMP profile, is it true?
DDR4 sees good gains in gaming and general use with improved speed and latency. 2133/2400 is not really a huge upgrade over DDR3.
DDR4 has four strong dividers on the 100 strap. 2133, 2400, 2666, and 3200. Everything else is kind of square peg - round hole. I would see if you can get a higher speed before tightening timings. My Adata 2400 kit from launch does 3200 C16 at 1.35. If your kit is a newer kit, it should be pretty easy to do the same or better, provided the IMC is up to the task.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so, I'll remain at 4.2Ghz with 1.2V and 50% vdrop (I think it is the asus load line calibration or something), it is stable and does not go above 80-82°C in OCCT. In normal usage it is at 65°C when gaming.

For RAM I'm trying the second XMP profile that is 2666Mhz with the previous clock of the 2400Mhz profile (CL14), do you suggest to go higher and see what happens? Although probably they will never reach 3200Mhz...
Last question, in my uefi I cannot find the option to edit my timings, only frequencies, I have a x99a krait

1 - 18 of 18 Posts