Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

im looking to buy a new hard drive soon since my caviar black 1tb will run out of space in probably 2 months.

I will only need 1TB more space, so im deciding between another caviar black or Seagate ST1000DM003. so which one of them should i go for? or any other suggestions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i had problems with a couple of 1.5tb seagates, wierd clicking noises, have never had any problems with WD caviars, got a 2tb green at the mo and will be getting another.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The WD Blacks are really good, but if these are just for data storage, then I'd do with which one is cheaper or has the better warranty. Warranty over price though.

If this will be holding data that you cannot afford to loose, then look into getting a RE4 hard drive from Western Digital. These are server grade drives with much higher build standard and will have a very low chance of failure down the road.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_LiG View Post

i had problems with a couple of 1.5tb seagates, wierd clicking noises, have never had any problems with WD caviars, got a 2tb green at the mo and will be getting another.
I've had 2 Green 1tb WD drives fail on me. One right after I transferred a .7 TB backup the day I bought it, the other started getting bad sectors a year later and failed last week. Neither drive was used for more than a couple hours during its whole life.

This isn't isolated to WD Green drives, every HDD has the potential to be damaged or faulty.

I would agree with the price and warranty advice above, provided that the specific drive you are looking at doesn't have specific issues. You can always look up the model number on google and (using your brain) determine if people are having more than normal issues with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wont be using it to store anything i cant afford to lose and i really hate noises so i guess black is the winner for me
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Why not samsung?

I'm running 3xSamsung 1.5TBs in RAID 5 on my server, and all my desktop builds use samsung spinpoint F3s for the main drive (unless an SSD is called for).

2TB EcoGreen:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245

1TB Spinpoint F3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Remember that HDD prices are really inflated still due to the flooding in Tiawan. I'm trying to wait a few months before I jump on any new drives. For example, that 1TB Spinpoint F3 used to be in the area of $60-$70. Now it's over $100. I've heard speculation that HDD prices are supposed to level out by June, but at the way it's going, it might be longer than that.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
i agree WD blacks and even blues. i run heaps of black and some blues and all in all theyre great drives.. Seagate 1 and 2TB drives are pretty good too but i hear iffy things about the 3TB.. samsung spinpoints you cant go wrong.. still i recommend any WD black or blue for storage
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YzGHOSTjC View Post

thanks for the replies, though i think the flood was in Thailand not Tiawan
Whoops thanks. Didn't have my morning coffee
frown.gif

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _02 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_LiG View Post

I've had 2 Green 1tb WD drives fail on me. One right after I transferred a .7 TB backup the day I bought it, the other started getting bad sectors a year later and failed last week. Neither drive was used for more than a couple hours during its whole life.
Launch Greens had problems. I bought two and they both failed. I RMA'd them, and the brand new replacements have been flawless. Every Green that I've bought since has been working flawlessly. Just some food for thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YzGHOSTjC View Post

I will only need 1TB more space, so im deciding between another caviar black or Seagate ST1000DM003. so which one of them should i go for? or any other suggestions?
What about the new 2TB Seagate? That'll tide you over longer, and it costs maybe 20% more than a 1TB.

I don't really trust their drives, but this new generation does have performance and noise levels on their side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts