Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new here so if I'm doing something wrong please tell me! And sorry for my English, it isn't my mother language.
Back to the title, I need help on choosing the right Intel Processor.
First of all don't say like "Why you choose to pick that processor? It's dated bla bla" because this processor is free!
biggrin.gif

So here you go:

E7500 (Core 2 Duo, 2.93GHz)
E8400 (Core 2 Duo, 3GHz)
Q6600 (Core 2 Quad, 2.4GHz)
Q9400 (Core 2 Quad, 2.66GHz)
X5460 (Xeon, 3.16GHz)

The obvious reason is I would have be gone with the fastest of all, the Xeon. But it is a LGA771 Processor (Got an adapter back there for 771 to 775 if really needed)
Is anything better than the Xeon? Anyway that is the only Processor that I can get for free, not to mention I'm only allowed to bring one home
rolleyes.gif

Also what is the Pros and Cons of each of them? I know that the LGA771 to LGA775 will destroy the motherboard (atleast the socket), are there any other Pros and Cons about all those processor?

The rest of the part is this:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
4x Team Elite PLUS 2GB DDR2-800MHz (so 4x2GB)
Cryorig H5 Ultimate
Zotac GTX750Ti 2GB GDDR5
2x Seagate 320GB 7200RPM
1x WD Caviar Black 500GB
1x WD Red 1TB

Any suggestion and critics are welcome!
thumb.gif
Anyway, thanks for reading!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'll use the PC for mostly 24/7 Workstation (Video Rendering and Unreal Engine 4)

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
The Xeon is the best. If you got a sticker to convert it to work with LGA 775 then I would do that. Alternatively, I'd probably get the Q9400 or the Q6600. The Q9400 is 45nm and will likely OC farther, but the Q6600 has more L2 cache which can make a marginal difference. I wouldn't bother with the C2D's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

The Xeon is the best. If you got a sticker to convert it to work with LGA 775 then I would do that. Alternatively, I'd probably get the Q9400 or the Q6600. The Q9400 is 45nm and will likely OC farther, but the Q6600 has more L2 cache which can make a marginal difference. I wouldn't bother with the C2D's.
Thanks for replying!
thumb.gif

Yes, I got the sticker to flip the pin (I'm pretty sure that's what the sticker do) but I'm worried about the Motherboard.. Will it work? Well, even if it's free I can't return them and take the other ones!
tongue.gif

Btw the Q9400 got 1333MHz FSB with the Q6600 only got 1066MHz of FSB. Does that really make any difference?

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
That motherboard should support all 771 Xeons with the pin mod. Since that is a valid option for you, I wouldn't concern yourself with the other choices. If you're extra worried about it then pick up the Q9400.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

That motherboard should support all 771 Xeons with the pin mod. Since that is a valid option for you, I wouldn't concern yourself with the other choices. If you're extra worried about it then pick up the Q9400.
Nice!
I'll get that Xeon then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts