Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just tried to overclkock my PC and now it wont turn on. Ive tried dumping the BIOS settings using the jumper on my mobo but that didnt work.

I just tried to set the FSB to 260 on a 1:1 ratio, it booted ok at 250 so i thought id try 260, then as soon as i switch on the computer i get long continuos beeps which i have experienced before when trying to decrease the latencies on my ram so i figure ive just hit the ceiling for my RAM. In the past clearing the BIOS has fixed this but this time the damn thing wont switch on. I had my VCORE voltage set to 1.53 but the actual was 1.5 on the BIOS readout and my RAM at 2.8. I know this probably means either a damaged MOBO or CPU, I've tried removing the ram sticks individually and get the same results, ive tested also the PSU and i know that that isnt the problem. If anyone can help then it would be most appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
How long did you clear the cmos for? Make sure all power is turned off to the board and hit the power switch a couple times to get the excess voltage out of the psu. Then clear the cmos, leaving the jumper in the "clear" position for about 5 minutes. If that doesnt work, try taking out the cmos battery for 5 minutes. If that doest work, take out the cpu and reinstall it. Then clear the cmos again and give it a shot. Take out and reseat the video card as well, just to make sure. If all of that fails, then I am afraid you do have a bad mobo or cpu.

• Rep+
Reactions: Buung

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Oddly enough, sometimes instead of clearing CMOS all I need to do is boot the computer without RAM installed, but that's when I was trying extremely tight memory timings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help guys but i already took it back to the supplier who said that i had blown the board........ however thay also said it was under warranty and i should come back in a week and get a new one! quite surprising considering what i had put that board through! Hey Lando what's the highest FSB uve had your MAX3 running on? I was quite surprised that 260 FSB blew the board, do yyou reckon i was pushing it with that value?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Oh man, I just noticed
You need a new power supply for that system. That is what blew your mobo. The psu couldn't provide stable voltage at oc'ed speeds. I started with a 420 watt generic psu (for a couple days) and could only reach 240fsb. Then I switched to an Allied 500watt and could go to 245 pr so. I then bought the Enermax 550watt and now at 255fsb. The highest I ever had was around 262, and that could just barely get into Windows, much less do anything else. My cpu will not go any higher without extreme cooling

The psu might still be good, but it is not good for a Prescott, especially with the socket 478, as it already has power regulation issues with the Pressy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts