Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My build is as listed below and I am well aware no two chips are the same. I would like to know what speeds I would be able to overclock to. However I am a noob at overclocking at I am not quite sure what I am doing. I use AMD OverDrive to overclock. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If I were you I would start reading the Phenom II Overclocking Guide and then joining the 1090T Owners Club. Both of those threads should give you a lot of helpful information.

I'd offer more help but I'm very new to OCing myself and still reading up on it before I really try to push my chips. Good luck!
thumb.gif

EDIT: Thanks for that link PunkX 1. That'll help me also.

·
Banned
4,962 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have the same mobo and cpu combo. It really is going to depend on how lucky you are. Between the heat and cpu that is not golden, I can only get 3.9 stable. However, I got there with only a slight increase in voltage, and I used the refclock to overclock as I like the results of that over just multi clocking. Guess it comes from the x2 days where I started out without a black edition chip.

You will need to play with your combo and see where you are stable at.

Study the guides that are posted here, and learn a little more about overclocking, especially on an amd setup, because it tends to be a little more complicated than intel setups. GL

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your help it is much appreciated. :)

I used AMD OverDrive to get it running at 4Ghz with 1.400 volts and it seems stable, I ran Prime95 for 2 hours with now errors or warnings. The temps don't go above 40C.

I want to go to 4.5Ghz but I am unsure of the volts that I will need, is there a rough number it should be at?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Thubans generally hit the wall at 4.2, and you may not get 4.2. So you might not get 4.5GHz without crazy volts, but your temps seem quite good. You'd probably get better results using the BIOS instead of AMDOverdrive, too.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeCatalystXD View Post

I tried 4Ghz in the BIOS using the multiplier... the same as I would do in AMD OverDrive and my system failed to boot?
it failed to boot but accepted in amd overdrive because the load was different, at boot there is more going on and thats why it failed. start with around 1.40-1.45v on the cpu core voltage. Try to keep temp bellow 55c as well so there is a safety net. You can go all the way to 1.5v without stressing, but 1.50v is what I use for 4.2ghz so hopefully you dont need that much for 4.0ghz.

I recommend looking at the links above too.

I would shoot for:
4.0ghz cpu 1.40-1.45v (1.5v max)
2600-2800mhz cpu-nb 1.25-1.33v (this is not nb, this is literally cpu-nb)
2000mhz ht link

rest of the voltage can be left on auto. This is just a loose baseline. Some guys can hit 4.5ghz cpu, 3200mhz cpu-nb, etc. Mine wont go over 4.3ghz and 3100mhz cpu-nb

Edit:
Just in case, Im sure you know but 4.0Ghz= 4000mhz, 2600mhz=2.6Ghz

Have fun at it, cpu-nb really gives a snappy feel within windows when you overclock that

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66racer View Post

it failed to boot but accepted in amd overdrive because the load was different, at boot there is more going on and thats why it failed. start with around 1.40-1.45v on the cpu core voltage. Try to keep temp bellow 55c as well so there is a safety net. You can go all the way to 1.5v without stressing, but 1.50v is what I use for 4.2ghz so hopefully you dont need that much for 4.0ghz.
I recommend looking at the links above too.
I would shoot for:
4.0ghz cpu 1.40-1.45v (1.5v max)
2600-2800mhz cpu-nb 1.25-1.33v (this is not nb, this is literally cpu-nb)
2000mhz ht link
rest of the voltage can be left on auto. This is just a loose baseline. Some guys can hit 4.5ghz cpu, 3200mhz cpu-nb, etc. Mine wont go over 4.3ghz and 3100mhz cpu-nb
Edit:
Just in case, Im sure you know but 4.0Ghz= 4000mhz, 2600mhz=2.6Ghz
Have fun at it, cpu-nb really gives a snappy feel within windows when you overclock that
Thanks a lot for all that information! :) I will give it a go when I get home and let you know how I go.

+1 REP to you sir.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Quote:

I couldn't get the PC to boot with those clocks.... however I am afraid to change them and am not sure what to do. haha
First I would start over, hit the F command to reset all motherboard settings to optimized stock ones.

Then make sure your memory is at the correct voltage, sometimes it will default to ddr 1.5v when you really have 1.65 memory and that wont allow it to boot. Start the computer up and make sure all is ok.

Then enter the bios. and do cpu core speed only, try 3.8ghz at 1.4v and start it up. Run a stability test and get that stable. Then we can go from there. I will keep an eye on this thread today as often as I can

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

First I would start over, hit the F command to reset all motherboard settings to optimized stock ones.
Then make sure your memory is at the correct voltage, sometimes it will default to ddr 1.5v when you really have 1.65 memory and that wont allow it to boot. Start the computer up and make sure all is ok.
Then enter the bios. and do cpu core speed only, try 3.8ghz at 1.4v and start it up. Run a stability test and get that stable. Then we can go from there. I will keep an eye on this thread today as often as I can
sucks... im in australia so it makes it a little to get you while your awake...

but anyway back to overclocking. what do i need to disable? e.g. cool and quiet

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok... I got to 3.8Ghz easy booted and is stable. :) Now I am gonna try 4.0Ghz, what should my voltage increase be from 1.400v? and should I overclock the CPU-NB?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:

Ok... I got to 3.8Ghz easy booted and is stable. :) Now I am gonna try 4.0Ghz, what should my voltage increase be from 1.400v? and should I overclock the CPU-NB?
No... stabilize the CPU overclock before you fiddle with NB and ram. Originally it only took me 1.425 to stabilize at 4ghz. I just bumped the multiplier up to 20 and fired up prime. Make sure you have the right voltage set for your ram - that itself will cause a blue screen and you'll think it's the CPU.

(PS.. I have the same CPU and cooler so trust me when I say heat isn't an issue).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrAverageJoe View Post

No... stabilize the CPU overclock before you fiddle with NB and ram. Originally it only took me 1.425 to stabilize at 4ghz. I just bumped the multiplier up to 20 and fired up prime. Make sure you have the right voltage set for your ram - that itself will cause a blue screen and you'll think it's the CPU.
(PS.. I have the same CPU and cooler so trust me when I say heat isn't an issue).
the clock is stable... do you think I should get 4Ghz stable before OCing the CPU-NB?

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
If your shooting for 4.0ghz get there first, try 1.43-1.45v, but remember it can take as much as 1.5v which your h80 should be able to handle cooling wise, I recommend max temp at 55c overclocked. AMD technically says 60-62c but 55c with the extra voltage would be more comfortable/safety window. If your happy with 3.8ghz you can leave it there and overclock the cpu-nb.

Once your stable mess with the cpu-nb. Your target on cpu-nb should easily be 2600mhz since thuban memory controllers are better than denab x4's. the 1090 with the right voltage can most likely do 3000-3200mhz depending on luck but 2600-2800 should come pretty easy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

If your shooting for 4.0ghz get there first, try 1.43-1.45v, but remember it can take as much as 1.5v which your h80 should be able to handle cooling wise, I recommend max temp at 55c overclocked. AMD technically says 60-62c but 55c with the extra voltage would be more comfortable/safety window. If your happy with 3.8ghz you can leave it there and overclock the cpu-nb.
Once your stable mess with the cpu-nb. Your target on cpu-nb should easily be 2600mhz since thuban memory controllers are better than denab x4's. the 1090 with the right voltage can most likely do 3000-3200mhz depending on luck but 2600-2800 should come pretty easy.
Thanks i will give it a go :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
***... I did the overclock in BIOS with 1.425v @ 4.0Ghz and then when I boot everything is saying that it is at 1.300v but it is running stable. Is it safe with these volts?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts