Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to overclock my son's PC which is getting old now, from 2.5Ghz to at least 3.0Ghz.

From what i have researched you only need to adjust the CPU Multiplier with AMD CPU's & leave everything else on auto, I have tryed that + a couple of other settings/disabled DRAM Ganged Mode.ect
But keep getting BSOD no matter what i do + only had it running @2.7GHz but that didn't last long.

Would anyone know how to OC this CPU & keep it stable?
as i'm not that experienced at OC'ing.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The Phenom I processors are notoriously bad for overclocking. When I had a 9850 I achieved similar results; anything past 2.7 was unstable no matter how much voltage you poured into it.

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
I believe and don't quote me on this (unless its correct, quote away)... That is because the Original Phenom I design was kind like Sandy Bridge in that the NB frequency was controlled directly by the core frequency.

I don't know if that is true or not, I've heard it before and it made sense to me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Someone told me this before, but i thought i would be able to at least get some sort of OC out of it, looks like we will have to replace the mobo & CPU in the near future, as it runs OK for now, but would like to keep up with the times.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When i had one i discovered that if you put too much voltage, like 1,55v is became realy unstable. You dont want the temps to reach 50 degree too.

·
Long Time Lurker
948 Posts
I was incredibly lucky to have had a 9850 that would do 3.0GHz with minimal voltage increase. Unfortunately, more Phenom I chips are absolutely terrible overclockers.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, it has a Zalman heat sink, but evan if it was liquid cooled, i still dont think i'll play around with it anymore, & hope i explaned the right CPU it's a quad core 9850 @ 2.5

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Keep temps under 61.
Bump voltages up by .025v until stable.

Make sure you do all this by the multiplier.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if it helps? but it's running on a ASUS Crosshair 2 formula mobo, & the main reason we wanted to OC was to see if we could get some better performace out of Battlefield Bad Company 2.lol, but i'm sure that prob is related to his GPU's = 2x 1GB GTS 250's.
+ most other Aps & Games run fine, but still looking for a upgrade in the near future.

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
Best way to see which product is holding his rig back would be to open up MSI afterburner and monitor the gpu usage.

GTS 250s in SLI wouldn't be all that weak, just a bit slower than a single 460 I would believe. Slower bus and all that but not a world of difference in the end.

They should be able to run the game quite smoothly, I would think.

What res is he playing at?

ASUS removed the FII from their page, but I'm positive it can at least support a x4 Deneb, if you are indeed cpu limited but aren't looking to spend a lot you can pick up something like a 955 for under $100.

·
Premium Member
32,942 Posts
You could try combinations of bus speed and different multipliers (remembering that RAM goes up too with bus speed). But chances are, you're probably going to have to pour some serious voltage to get it anywhere near stable. Most first generation Phenom quads too 1.55-1.60v to run stable at anywhere near 3.0GHz. Some got lucky ones that went further, or the same with less voltage.

And no, you're not LIMITED to multiplier only overclocking.
AMD has been the same since Socket A days. The only difference has been the introduction of BE chips, which are basically the new "FX" lineup (from 754 / 939 days), or Athlon-M from Socket A days.....which means an unlocked multiplier. There's nothing at all wrong with using bus speed too (which sometimes yields even better performance).

Sadly though, you're probably just limited to the old and slow Phenom I architecture, and the limitations of it not clocking very well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's running @ 1680x1050 & yeah i prob would pick up somthing a bit better but what are the specs of the 955?

·
Premium Member
32,942 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KEX
View Post

He's running @ 1680x1050 & yeah i prob would pick up somthing a bit better but what are the specs of the 955?

A huge JUMP clock for clock faster (somewhere in the realm of 25-50% faster clock for clock). And it'll hit 4.0GHz 99% of the time.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

You could try combinations of bus speed and different multipliers (remembering that RAM goes up too with bus speed). But chances are, you're probably going to have to pour some serious voltage to get it anywhere near stable. Most first generation Phenom quads too 1.55-1.60v to run stable at anywhere near 3.0GHz. Some got lucky ones that went further, or the same with less voltage.

And no, you're not LIMITED to multiplier only overclocking.
AMD has been the same since Socket A days. The only difference has been the introduction of BE chips, which are basically the new "FX" lineup (from 754 / 939 days), or Athlon-M from Socket A days.....which means an unlocked multiplier. There's nothing at all wrong with using bus speed too (which sometimes yields even better performance).

Sadly though, you're probably just limited to the old and slow Phenom I architecture, and the limitations of it not clocking very well.

Thanks for the info & yeah i might try again some day, but as i said i dont have much experience with OC'ing, i can upload some pics of the BIOS if you can give me an idea?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared
View Post

Best way to see which product is holding his rig back would be to open up MSI afterburner and monitor the gpu usage.

GTS 250s in SLI wouldn't be all that weak, just a bit slower than a single 460 I would believe. Slower bus and all that but not a world of difference in the end.

They should be able to run the game quite smoothly, I would think.

What res is he playing at?

ASUS removed the FII from their page, but I'm positive it can at least support a x4 Deneb, if you are indeed cpu limited but aren't looking to spend a lot you can pick up something like a 955 for under $100.

Balla is right the Crosshair II (AM2+) board will support a X4 Deneb, but it may need to have a BIOS update.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

A huge JUMP clock for clock faster (somewhere in the realm of 25-50% faster clock for clock). And it'll hit 4.0GHz 99% of the time.

That sounds great, but what i can see in the mobo manual only supports AM2 type.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doom
View Post

Balla is right the Crosshair II (AM2+) board will support a X4 Deneb, but it may need to have a BIOS update.

I'm very interested at looking for one of them now, Actualy i can get a Phenom II X4 970 for $155 & would buy it if i was 100% sure it's compatable.
BIOS update you mean from the ASUS.tech site?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darylrese
View Post

I used to have a 9850BE before I upgraded to a 1090T and it was rubbish at overclocking. Think I got it running stable at about 2.9ghz in the end but temps were high and performance was terrible

Yes, it shore is a bad overclocker, & now i need to find out if a Phenom II x4 970 @ 3.5GHz will be compatible?

·
Registered
613 Posts
The fastest I ever got a Phenom I was 3.2 Ghz, but it was an X2 7750 BE, as for the 9850s(got mine to 2.9Ghz @ 1.5V) they like to be cool (aftermarket coolers were needed) and they needed lots of volts for 3Ghz (1.5+).
The best place to start is from stock volts (can't remember what that is) and go up 0.05-0.1V (in little steps)
then set the Bsclk up to 205-210Mhz and go up to 13x multi.
Give that a shot.

Edit: I'll have a look to see if thats right I thought the Crosshair II was an AM2+ board.

Edit 2:Check this out here, if thats your board it says AM2+,maybe just a BIOS update or nothing at all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts