Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is the first time i have posted here but I read a lot of forms and articles here all the time.

I am looking for help in Overclocking my FX-8150 Bulldozer CPU. I have a MSI 890FXA-GD70 with 16GB 4x4GB 1600 memory.

I have using CPU FSB Freq at 240mhz with CPU-NB voltage 1.332v, CPU voltage 1.28v and NB voltage at 1.325v

I was able to get stable 4.5Ghz with FSB 240 and multiplier at 19x I moved the memory ratio down to 1:1.33 so running a bit under my memory specs. The only issue with this O.C. was I lost my USB 3.0 external down to 2.0. I have seen when overclocking this does this, but I haven't been able to find a work around for this.

I have also tried 4.5Ghz just using Multiplier at 22.5 this seems to be stable with voltages raised up on CPU volage 1.32v and CPU PLL Voltage 2.75v

Both of these O.C.'s are stable on prime95.

I would like some advise to get higher I know i am not limited by cooling running XSPC 360mm rad with push pull and 1/2ID 5/8OD tubing with Swiftech MCP655 pump. Temps on both O.C's druing prime never higher then 34c.

Any help and advice would be great. Thanks everyone
smile.gif

·
Banned
4,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highendpcgamer View Post

Hi everyone, this is the first time i have posted here but I read a lot of forms and articles here all the time.

I am looking for help in Overclocking my FX-8150 Bulldozer CPU. I have a MSI 890FXA-GD70 with 16GB 4x4GB 1600 memory.

I have using CPU FSB Freq at 240mhz with CPU-NB voltage 1.332v, CPU voltage 1.28v and NB voltage at 1.325v

I was able to get stable 4.5Ghz with FSB 240 and multiplier at 19x I moved the memory ratio down to 1:1.33 so running a bit under my memory specs. The only issue with this O.C. was I lost my USB 3.0 external down to 2.0. I have seen when overclocking this does this, but I haven't been able to find a work around for this.

I have also tried 4.5Ghz just using Multiplier at 22.5 this seems to be stable with voltages raised up on CPU volage 1.32v and CPU PLL Voltage 2.75v

Both of these O.C.'s are stable on prime95.

I would like some advise to get higher I know i am not limited by cooling running XSPC 360mm rad with push pull and 1/2ID 5/8OD tubing with Swiftech MCP655 pump. Temps on both O.C's druing prime never higher then 34c.

Any help and advice would be great. Thanks everyone
smile.gif
Hey there and welcome to OCN
smile.gif

Before anything else, I really wouldn't advice pushing an 8-core BD on the GD70. That board is one of MSI's most failure-prone ones due to a an exceptionally weak VRM layout.

Overclocking X4s and X6s on that board is risky enough, let alone AMDs most power-hungry chip till date.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I have read that this board vrm is weak when it comes to that, what board would you recommend? be looking for ATX with USB 3.0 at least 3 way Crossfire/SLI, good for O.C.ing. Lots of Sata Ports. Anymore ideas and replys would be great. Thanks

·
Banned
4,962 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the advice, I have read that this board vrm is weak when it comes to that, what board would you recommend? be looking for ATX with USB 3.0 at least 3 way Crossfire/SLI, good for O.C.ing. Lots of Sata Ports. Anymore ideas and replys would be great. Thanks
There are a lot of great boards out there that offer what you need and more. What's your budget?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like to stay under $225 but if its a deal breaker I might go more. Also do you think DDR3 1600mhz gives me enough headroom to O.C using the memory ratio and clocking up using FSB? Or should I look at 1866 or even 2133?

·
Banned
4,962 Posts
Quote:

I like to stay under $225 but if its a deal breaker I might go more. Also do you think DDR3 1600mhz gives me enough headroom to O.C using the memory ratio and clocking up using FSB? Or should I look at 1866 or even 2133?
I'll lay out different boards with varying budgets. Take your pick depending on what you need
smile.gif

An extremely good board for the price and a badass overclocker. Good value for money - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157266

Need a little bit more juice and the looks to match? - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157358

An overclockers' toy, if you don't mind the Fatal1ty branding and stickers
biggrin.gif
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157267

My personal choice - http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=75613

The holy grail - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131876

Yeah, DDR3 1600MHz would do just fine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like both of the ASUS board and I know there is watercooling blocks available for the Crosshair V but its a strech on the budget, I don't know if there are specific water cooling blocks for the ASUS Sabertooth but, that board is pretty impressive for the price. What are your thoughts on overclocking with the ASUS sabertooth? If increasing FSB drop USB 3.0 like my MSI did?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Banned
4,962 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, thanks. Im really liking ASUS Sabertooth, I have had a few ASUS boards before never strayed me wrong. Only concern with it is the 8pin CPU power is up at the top and It might conflict with my fan on my rad. I'll have to do some messuring or just remove that fan.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could you also direct me for where the post are for people selling components?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks I really appricate all of your input, I think the ASUS Sabertooth is my next investment lol, I really want to get this processor up to 5ghz. I was close once I was at 4.85ghz booted into windows and work for gaming but would crash during everytime even on blend.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I just came across this post. Memory management on the MSI 890fxa-gd70 is good. But the last Bios is not so good for a fx-8350 as the CPU voltage adjustments compared to a sabertooth are crude. With adequate cooling 4.5 Ghz is about all you can get. 4.4 is good for daily use. just let the cell adjust do there thing on auto and set the multiplier for 4.4 Ghz.

And now how the 8350 ended up on my old MSI board. Overclocked my 7870 and a it blew a VR failed big time. No it did not fail while using it. It failed when I started it up. That took down my sabertooth r1. The overcurrent protection on the motherboard/pwr supply did not react quick enough. The power supply works fine 1000 watts, maybe if it was a little smaller it would have tripped before the mobo blew?

I think the E versions of the visheras will work just fine in these motherboards. I am glad I kept it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts