Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to overclock and undervolt my 7870k. I've searched through some threads here and saw where someone was running theirs at 4.2ghz @ 1.3 volts.

So I'm curious what is the best way to get mine running somewhere around those specs. I see it's very easy to do with Amd Overdrive, but I also see a lot of people doing it from with in their Bios. So I'm not exactly sure what the best way to go about it is.

Lastly from what I understand Overclocking will give me better performance and Undervolting will make my APU run cooler, but I'm wondering what are the risks of doing those things and what precautions do i need to take if any.

I really appreciate any reply.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zts24 View Post

I'm looking to overclock and undervolt my 7870k. I've searched through some threads here and saw where someone was running theirs at 4.2ghz @ 1.3 volts.

So I'm curious what is the best way to get mine running somewhere around those specs. I see it's very easy to do with Amd Overdrive, but I also see a lot of people doing it from with in their Bios. So I'm not exactly sure what the best way to go about it is.

Lastly from what I understand Overclocking will give me better performance and Undervolting will make my APU run cooler, but I'm wondering what are the risks of doing those things and what precautions do i need to take if any.

I really appreciate any reply.
You either undervolt or overclock. Not both. To overclock you generally have to add voltage to keep your cpu stable. Undervolting you may be able to be stable at the stock clockspeed if you are lucky.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Actually, since he has a 7870k, his default vcore is probably going to be around 1.45v-1.48v, so he really should undervolt unless he's trying to go for 4.7 GHz or the like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well 4.2Ghz isn't much of a overclock for my APU and bumping it down to 1.3 is a very small voltage decrease. This thread (http://www.overclock.net/t/1555615/amd-kaveri-refresh-a10-7870k-apu-arrives) goes into detail about how the 7870k was overclocked and at one point tested it at 4.2Ghz and 1.3 voltage.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something I feel like i should be able to do the same to mine.

@drmrlordx From everything i've read that is what i figured. I wouldn't go that higher either, At the most maybe 4.3GHz. I just need to figure out the best way to do so.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

You either undervolt or overclock. Not both. To overclock you generally have to add voltage to keep your cpu stable. Undervolting you may be able to be stable at the stock clockspeed if you are lucky.
False. Default voltage on my 7870K is 1.4V I can keep 4.3GHz at 1.3V
wink.gif

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Go into your bios and disable the overclock tuner by selecting 'manual'. You won't have overvoltage issues any more. The stock cooler is P95 safe for up to 1.2v, so you're in a predicament whether you want to use your cpu @3.9GHz/1.2v, or at 4.3GHz and full loudness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feimitsu View Post

wink.gif
Nice. So is there any downside to doing that? and Is using Amd Overdrive a good method for that?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:

Nice. So is there any downside to doing that? and Is using Amd Overdrive a good method for that?
I do it from Bios because AMD Overdrive doesn't have an automatic way to set the specified voltage at every boot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't seem to manually input my voltage In the bios. No matter what I input it automatically goes back to a "Auto" setting. Here is a video i found that displays what happens when you try to type in a voltage.

It's a Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H motherboard.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

Well 4.2Ghz isn't much of a overclock for my APU and bumping it down to 1.3 is a very small voltage decrease. This thread (http://www.overclock.net/t/1555615/amd-kaveri-refresh-a10-7870k-apu-arrives) goes into detail about how the 7870k was overclocked and at one point tested it at 4.2Ghz and 1.3 voltage.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something I feel like i should be able to do the same to mine.

@drmrlordx From everything i've read that is what i figured. I wouldn't go that higher either, At the most maybe 4.3GHz. I just need to figure out the best way to do so.
Quote:

wink.gif
1.3v from stock of 1.4v is not a small voltage decrease. I am talking in general. You either undervolt or overclock. Two separate goals. Yes, the 7870's are overvolted and can be undervolted at stock speeds. I don't call 4.2 GHz an overclock. I call 4.5 GHz an overclock. I really doubt that you could undervolt one to 1.3v and overclock it to even 4.2 GHz and have it prime95 stable.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

I can't seem to manually input my voltage In the bios. No matter what I input it automatically goes back to a "Auto" setting. Here is a video i found that displays what happens when you try to type in a voltage.

It's a Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H motherboard.
Ouch, that board looks to be 4+2 phase power with no heatsink on the power section.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

wink.gif
Ever try running a real stress test?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:

Ever try running a real stress test?
Yes, I did. And Boinc is running on CPU+GPU 24/7. AMD CPUs generally have VERY conservative voltages at stock. An old A64 3200+ that I still have can go from 1.4V stock all the way down to 1.175V. Stress tested.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:

1.3v from stock of 1.4v is not a small voltage decrease. I am talking in general. You either undervolt or overclock. Two separate goals. Yes, the 7870's are overvolted and can be undervolted at stock speeds. I don't call 4.2 GHz an overclock. I call 4.5 GHz an overclock. I really doubt that you could undervolt one to 1.3v and overclock it to even 4.2 GHz and have it prime95 stable.
I just said I can keep 4.3GHz downvolted to 1.3V. I don't care if you doubt, apparently you never attempted to undervolt on your CPUs
smile.gif

I can keep stock frequency (3.9GHz) downvolted from 1.4V to 1.2V (without offset, so the real voltage is actually lower) just fine.

I don't understand why you are so sure there's this dualism "you either undervolt or overclock". If a CPU is overvolted a stock you CAN and you SHOULD overclock and undervolt, if you want to keep temps down and increase speed just a little bit.

Another example: when GPU usage goes 95%, 7870K downclocks to 3GHz 1.0875V. I can keep 3GHz at 1V (0.950V with Vdroop). Just try it yourself, you will be surprised. Launch a stress test and keep going down with the voltage until the crash point.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
My 7700k will do 3.4 GHz @ something like 1.0875v, or thereabouts. Pretty slick.

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Quote:

[email protected] (1.05V after Vdroop) here
smile.gif
same level I'd say, I have yet to meet an AMD CPU that doesn't undervolt well
biggrin.gif
Even the stock cooler won't ramp up <1.2v. Is it because of the power management that it runs at those voltage levels? Nevermind, I didn't account for the gpu.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts