Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in search of some help here and haven't really been able to find much on any other site, so I figured I'd ask some of you that are MUCH more experienced than myself. Yes, I'm a definite newbie just looking for some assitance. Over the weekend I received all the parts I purchased to build a computer (sort of my first attempt). I bought a CPU/Motherboard combo that had been overclocked from a 2.8ghz to a 3.3. It had been tested and running stable for quite some time. Here is a link to the item exactly, so you know what I'm working with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6737259774

Well I wasn't able to successfully boot up an install CD for XP, and had to reset the CMOS via the jumpers on the motherboard to get it to successfully install a fresh copy of XP. I don't know why, but with it overclocked, I couldn't get it to automatically boot up the XP CD. It would act as if it was going to work, and then just stall (no activitiy). Well like I said, I reset the CMOS, and forgot to write down all the settings that were set in the BIOS by the previous owner to overclock it (stupidity, I know). Well after resetting the CMOS, I was able to get the CD to boot up and now I have Windows installed and running fine. My question is... "How can I get it back to 3.3ghz?" Sorry about all the mombo jombo above, but I figured I should explain my reasoning behind wanting help.

Here are some more details related to the combination. I know I don't have the greatest RAM in the world, but I'd imagine it should work okay. I bought some CENTON 512MB DDR 400MHz PC3200 memory. Video is your basic Radeon 9200 256MB DDR AGP 8X card, nothing major. I'm wondering if the person who had this motherboard/cpu combo prior to me had overclocked it after having installed Windows. This is what I'm going for... now that I have Windows installed, I'd like to get it OC'd to at least 3.0ghz so that it's somewhat faster. At idle it's barely hitting 20-23 degress Celcius. Plenty of power from the supplier. I just don't know what to change through my BIOS and was hoping you guys could give me some tips. Also curious what vcore or vdimm is. I've gone into voltage for the DDR, but instead of an exact voltage I can give it, it has percentages... +2% +4% etc. etc. I'm also wondering about these "Timing" things... what exactly do they affect, and what are decent settings to start with?

I think that's about it. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Brad

·
Registered
386 Posts
welcome 2 the forums pal! :)

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Welcome! You will be learning a lot very quickly but everyone here is very helpful and patient so it will be fun (yeah, it might get frustrating at times but ultimately you will be addicted).

Once you get done reading the 3 guides that Waffles gave you the link to, if you want to learn what those memory timing numbers are and do just go to the Intel Memory section and check out my sticky on memory timings (or come back here and click on the link in my signature).

Most importantly, be patient, have fun and try not to go broke!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

Welcome! You will be learning a lot very quickly but everyone here is very helpful and patient so it will be fun (yeah, it might get frustrating at times but ultimately you will be addicted).

Once you get done reading the 3 guides that Waffles gave you the link to, if you want to learn what those memory timing numbers are and do just go to the Intel Memory section and check out my sticky on memory timings (or come back here and click on the link in my signature).

Most importantly, be patient, have fun and try not to go broke!

Thanks for the welcome... all of you. I'll check out those articles and see what I can do. Sorry about not checking those out in the first place. I'm at work so I'll have to wait until I get home before I can "play." Hopefully all goes well. Thanks for the timing article Bindusar. It's slowly but surely starting to make sense. You were definitely right aobut the addictive thing. I've only been into this for 2 days, and already I'm researching like crazy. Thanks again guys. I'll post an update on progress later tonight or tomorrow. Have a good one.

Brad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts