Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically, i'd like to overclock it by more than +135 MHz. I have a ASUS G55VW with a gtx 660m. This GPU seems to have a built-in overclocking limitation of +135MHz to its base clock. Ive tried a number of ways to get around this using nvidia inspector, msi afterburner and EVGA precisionX 16, all with no success. I know its possible from other posts ive seen on the subject. Thanks in advance.

With nvidia inspector i tried to use a .bat file to force pstate (using "-forcepstate:0,n" where n=0,2,5,8,16)....this didnt work no matter how i tried. I also tried to use a .bat file to set memory and base clock (using "-setBaseClockOffset:0,0,n" "-setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,n" "-setGpuClock:0,2,n" "-setMemoryClock:0,2,n")....this worked but ONLY up to the +135MHz base clock limit. (no quotes when using commands).

With MSI afterburner i tried to enable the unofficial overclocking mode. (change UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1 and add EULA).

I didnt try anything particularly special with precisionX, but nonetheless it didnt work either.

This issue sees to be coded into the bios and I dont think id feel comfortable flashing a modded bios (assuming i could even find a modded bios), though i have seen reports of people bypassing this limit without modding the bios so it SHOULD be possible (or at any rate it used to be on older drivers).

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
It requires modifying the vBIOS, something of which not many people are knowledgeable about here in this forum.

Go ask on Notebookreview or Tech | Inferno and you'll get much better information

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see. Thanks. Like i said ive seen ppl do it without modding the bios, but that was on older drivers. I was hoping it was still possible with current drivers, but it may not be.

An alternate question: Do you think its worth the trouble? Right now with a +135 MHz core / +350 MHz memory it stabalizes at ~81 C under 100% load (using furmark). However, when gpu utilization isnt at 100% at all times (like when benchmarking using 3dmark) it maxes at around 70 C. Do you think i could get enough more out of it to make modding the vbios worthwhile?

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Oh yeah, the 660m can travel quite far from what I have seen around the forums and such, as always though YMMV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive seen similiar. I'm not 100% comfortable with modding the vbios but ill look into it and research it a bit more. the 660m is definitely the weakest link in the laptop (the i7-3610qm, 16 gigs of ram and the 850 evo ssd i just installed make it still very competitive with newer pc's), so overclocking it will definitely help. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts