Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of very intensive testing (100 profiles tested so far) on my sig rig and some hardware upgrades, I have chosen to save 4 profiles that I have tested stable (6h prime95, 2h OCCT, folding & general usage):

- Stock: CPU 2.53 GHz @ 1.18V; NB 1.20V; 800MHz DDR2 @ 2.10V
- OC-1: CPU 3.24 GHz @ 1.31V; NB 1.24V; 852MHz DDR2 @ 2.10V
- OC-2: CPU 3.515 GHz @ 1.35V; NB 1.26V; 740MHz DDR2 @ 2.10V
- OC-3: CPU 3.515 GHz @ 1.35V; NB 1.32V; 888MHz DDR2 @ 2.10V

The reason why I have setup the DRAM at 2.10 is because I wasn't able to make it stable, even at stock speed, with the rated 1.80 (I have 4 x 1 GB sticks, so I applied a recommendation to increase voltage given that 4x1GB is harder for the MoBo than 2x2GB, which worked)

The problem I am having is that on profiles 2 & 3, It will not always POST after turning it off and then on again. In order to make it POST, I have to turn it on, then if it does'nt POST, push the reset button and then it will normally POST.

If I do a restart from windows, it will reboot normally with no issues.

I just made a test increasing the NB voltage to 1.36 (same problem) and up to 1.40 where I needed to clear the CMOS to make it post again.

Is it that, maybe, I am above safe limits for my NB voltage?
Is there any other setting I can change to make it stable without having this post problem?
Any ideas?

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
There may be a bios update for your board. Those settings should be OK, the "EM" just isn't a good type.

• Rep+
Reactions: mcastaneda68

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your response.

- Any other comments?
- Do you think this qualifies as a "cold boot problem"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy View Post
There may be a bios update for your board. Those settings should be OK, the "EM" just isn't a good type.
Well, I know that this board, having the integrated video, is not much of an overclocker. The question is how far can it go?
The BIOS is updated to the latest available on ASUS website

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydeaner View Post
Yeah a lot of times cold boot problems can be solved with bios updates. But you have to just wait for the manufacturer which sucks.
I do not know if this qualifies as cold boot problem, since it will happen even if I turn it off for 10 seconds, instead of doing a restart. If the system POST, then I have a clean start in vista 100% of the times.

I will, anyway, submit a ticket to Asus support, hoping for better results than my first ticket, which they never responded (3 months should be enough right?)

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
I highly doubt Asus will help you since you are overclocking.

Have you disabled Express Gate in the bios, because that can cause boot issues also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts