Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to overclocking, never overclocked before a cpu. I have the basic ideea of overclocking but still need some help.

I don't aim for a huge overclock of over 4Ghz, somwhere 3.4, 3.6 is enough for me for the moment.

First I wanted to see what is my cpu load temperature at the current frequency. I ran prime95 torture test (small FFT's) and you can see the temperatures in the screenshot I added. To me it seems they are pretty high. Do I need to change my cooler before I even think of overclocking?

The shot was taken after 6minutes of running prime 95.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I would recommend you upgrade your cooling before attempting overclocking. After folding 24/7 for a week, I am at 55C on my hottest core.

·
Premium Member
4,764 Posts
I agree that you should grab a new cooler, bro. That 9550 can do some serious work but it's already burning up.... Get one of those Hyper 212's for about 30 bucks and you'll be set for the adventure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will change my cooler.

Another thing, I know it might be a noob question, but I noticed that when I change the FSB, the RAM frequency changes. How can I keep my memory to 1333mhz?

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Yea your temps are horrible.

RAM is on a multipier from the FSB. You can bumpi it down to 1:1.

You should search up some basic 775 overclocking guides then find the thread on P5Q boards before you start into this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I searched my bios and can't find anywhere this ram fsb multiplier. Any ideas? From the guys with a p5qc mobo?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still not much help. I just played a little to get used to the bios and the options that I have, discarding any changes before exiting. So I set the cpu ratio to 8.5, the fsb to 450 let's say to give me a 3.8 ghz but still cannot set the memory to 1333 because i don't want to overclock the memory. I can't find that fsb-memory ratio.

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried to set the fsb strap to northbridge to 333 but no luck. There was no option in the droplist to set the ram to 1333.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Just set it pretty close. 1353 and 1333 are close enough - but if you want to play it safe (which isn't a bad idea), go one step slower until you're done OCing the CPU and are happy with the results.

After that, you can tweak your ram.

The reason you don't see 1333 in there is because the ram clock is based of FSB. if 1333 isn't mathematically possible, it won't show up.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Set FSB frequency to 425MHz (which would give you 3.6GHz) and then choose RAM frequency available that's closest to 1333MHz..

Here are possible working settings:

CPU ratio = 8.5x
FSB freq = 425MHz
DRAM TIMINGS= AUTO
STRAP= 333
DRAM freq= closest to 1333MHz available << VERY IMPORTANT FOR STABILITY AS HIGHER SPEED COULD BE UNSTABLE

DRAM STATIC READ CONTROL = AUTO
DRAM READ TRAINING = AUTO
OC charger= AUTO
AI Clock Twister = AUTO
AI Transaction booster= AUTO

Vcore=1.xxV (what Chip needs to hit 3.6GHz,try add a bit if you crash)
CPU GTL = 0.63x
PLL=1.54
FSB voltage=1.30V
DRAM voltage=1.xxV (or by memory specs)
NBv=1.36V
SBv=1.2V
PCIE/SATA voltage=1.60V
CPU & PCIE Spread spectrum=Disable
CPU & NB skew=AUTO

Load Line Calibration=ENABLED

All options in CPU Configuration set @ DISABLE and CPU MULTI @ 8.5x..

Testing methodology:

1. First test these with 6x CPU multi with P95 LARGE FFT for at least 6h and stock Vcore as your CPU would be running @ 425x6=2.55GHz..

2. If you pass P95 then reboot to BIOS up your Vcore and set CPU multiplier to 8.5x..

3. If it doesn't boot keep adding Vcore untill it does..

4. Then when it boots up go in Windows and test your 425MHz FSB x8,5 =3.6GHz with IBT 20runs w/ max RAM and if you crash then just upp Vcore and test it again..

5. If you pass 6h of P95 LARGE FFT & 20 runs of Intel Burn Test then you're ROCK SOLID..

KEEP YOUR CORE TEMPS UNDER 75C IN ANY STRESS TEST..

P.S.: Your motherboard is not capable to run a Quad CPU over 460MHz FSB due poor CPU GTL voltage options in BIOS that are mandatory for stabilizing core that would error in Prime95 LARGE FFT test..

CHEERS..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks dude, you always come in very helpful.

I will come maby with some questions when i start the overclocking process. But for now I still need a cooler advice. And also, after overclocking what should be the maximum temperature?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrome_x1
View Post

Thanks that helped. Now tomorrow or the day after tomorrow i want to go buy a cooler. I don't want to spend very much on it. Let's say up to 50bucks.

I need something that will get those temperatures down.

Was thinking about this one. What do you think? http://www.zerotherm.net/eng/product/NV120P.asp

For that you'll have to check the air cooling forums - I throw my stuff under water and call it good enough.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I have told you: KEEP YOUR CORE TEMPS UNDER 75C IN ANY STRESS TEST..

So 75C on the cores is the max for 24/7 operation..

Try to get Cooler Master Hyper 212+ as it's cheap and great cooler for you (I have one myself)..

Also for further questions amd information refer to Asus P5Q Pro Turbo/Pro/Turbo owners club CLICK HERE..

CHEERS..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks i will look for that cooler, since now with stock cooling and stock frequency i'm getting close to 80C in prime 95 :|

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrome_x1
View Post

Thanks i will look for that cooler, since now with stock cooling and stock frequency i'm getting close to 80C in prime 95 :|

With this Hyper 212+ cooler I get 65C max in P95 (overclocked @ 3.9GHz and 1.30V for Vcore)..

This cooler would be perfect for you..

CHEERS..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And another question. By how much will I shorten the lifespan of the cpu if i overclock it to 3.6, 3.8 or something like that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts