Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I bought a P6N Diamond MoBo put a Q6600 G0 in it, mounted an Xiggy on top of the CPU, put 4 new XFX 9600 GSOs in it and 2 GBs of G.Skill RAM... plugged it all in, and tried to boot it... but the thing doesn't POST...

I've cleared CMOS twice, taken out 3 of the GPUs and simply tried using one... swapped the RAM...

ANY ideas are helpful

·
Banned
11,409 Posts
Front panel header hooked up properly? The P6N's have 2 separate headers so youu kind of need to be on your toes when hooking it up.

Mine gave me problems because I didnt have the RAM clips fully closed.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RAM clips fully closed
um its caseless, I just jump the power switch pins with a screw driver

it boots all FANs spin, all cards get spinning fans, cd drive seeks... just no video output...
its a refurbed board, the GPUs are all brand new, and the Q6600 is my old one and worked fine forever...

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
I was going to post that this is what happens to me with the Community Project. I see you have already tried booting up with one card. If you have power, and all the other parts came from working rigs, I would say that it's the Mobo. I know Nitteo had decent luck with them, and a few others as well. I have had terrible luck with that board. I can't get it to play nice with me.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah video cable is plugged in
monitor is on and plugged in
all cables are properly plugged in and secured in the rig as well... thanks gibson, yeah tried a single card...and both outputs on it as well... maybe Nitteo will shed some light

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am
View Post

it boots all FANs spin, all cards get spinning fans, cd drive seeks... just no video output...
its a refurbed board, the GPUs are all brand new, and the Q6600 is my old one and worked fine forever...

Ok, so it sounds like you are actually getting past POST. Does the HDD kick in as if the OS is trying to load? I assume you can get into and "see" the BIOS?

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode to see if Windows is attempting to use drivers from whatever video card you were using before the new one's... (I'm assuming it's the HDD and XP install from the old Mobo)... or where they the same cards?

·
Super Moderator
23,740 Posts
When you unplug the videocard do you get an error (long beep)?

Have you tried only one stick of RAM?

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandypx
View Post

Ok, so it sounds like you are actually getting past POST. Does the HDD kick in as if the OS is trying to load? I assume you can get into and "see" the BIOS?

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode to see if Windows is attempting to use drivers from whatever video card you were using before the new one's... (I'm assuming it's the HDD and XP install from the old Mobo)... or where they the same cards?

This is a dedicated folding rig, and this si the initial boot, there is nothing on the HDD, i still need to format it and load an OS on it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mega_option101
View Post

When you unplug the videocard do you get an error (long beep)?

Have you tried only one stick of RAM?

Haven't tried a single stick of RAM, but I kinda need 2GB for 4 GPU clients and 2 VMs... but I guess if I could get in BIOS and manually set the voltages... I'll try it. I also have no speaker at the moment...

Quote:

Originally Posted by aryuautku
View Post

It may be a crappy ram,i couldnt even hear the beep cus of that crappy ram
Crap

Well they're G.Skill HZs and Crucial Ballistix that I've swapped through it so far... I consider them good RAM...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodfire
View Post

I had a similar problem and it ended up being a fried mobo. Mind you I have not had a desktop since Christmas and they sent me 3 dead boards already...

:edit:

One of the boards they sent me even had burn marks on it xD

aw man, really I don't want to RMA it
that is folding down time and lost PPD...

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'd say try it with one GPU, one stick of ram, and see if it boots. Work your way up if it does until it doesn't. I didn't get POST on my P6N untill I pushed the CMOS clear button a good 5 times and in a row. You could very well have a hardware interference from a bad GPU or ram stick.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the RAM sticks work, and are on the approved memory list... and the GPUs are all new... so I hope they all work... I guess I'll just try one stick clear the CMOS some more, etc.... hope for a post...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am
View Post

This is a dedicated folding rig, and this si the initial boot, there is nothing on the HDD, i still need to format it and load an OS on it...

Haven't tried a single stick of RAM, but I kinda need 2GB for 4 GPU clients and 2 VMs... but I guess if I could get in BIOS and manually set the voltages... I'll try it. I also have no speaker at the moment...

Well they're G.Skill HZs and Crucial Ballistix that I've swapped through it so far... I consider them good RAM...

aw man, really I don't want to RMA it
that is folding down time and lost PPD...

When i mean CRAPpy ram,i mean CRAPped ram.That means a ram which got CRAPped AFTER buying it.It ran fine for me at first,then i couldnt even boot with that CRAPpy ram.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am View Post
I'm still trying to get a handle on where you get stuck.... Do you have no video at any time??? nothing???

You turn on the computer, the computer POSTs or it doesn't?... and you can get into and see the BIOS, or you can't? If you can, the video card works up to this point?

You exit the BIOS, the computer re-POSTs the optical drive spins.... but the OS install disk does nothing?

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it NEVER POSTS, and I've tried all possible video outputs looking for a signal, no luck...

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I am sure you did, but did you try different video cards, even though they are all new.............

I had two 8800GTs not in use and finally got around to getting them folding. Would not POST with card 1, just error beeps. Put the other card in and shaaaaaazam there she boots. So then I am think the first card may have gone south, but I slip it into one of the other slots and it runs fine. Folding away. Darn hot little cards though, Zotec's.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried swapping a couple of them, then I tried an 8800GS too, all NULL, and I tried them in a couple different slots too...

·
Banned
11,409 Posts
what he meant by the video card beeping is this:

Install a video card in the closest PCIe slot to the cpu but dont plug in the 6 pin.
Power up.
it will SCREAM at you.

And where did you find the list of supported memory? I am looking to change things around a bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.