Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from the UK and I see MSI released a Twin Frozr III Boost Edition. Is this a good card to go for? I am simply looking for a card that has a good enough cooler that it will be quiet at stock but have a good amount of overclocking headroom. Which card should I get and where from (Heard there's a lot of free game promos flying around).

·
Registered
885 Posts
Your best option in terms of price/performance and free games would be either theSapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 or the Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950 with Crysis 3 & Bioshock Infinite. The Sapphire has an addtl $20 MIR rebate. Either one is pretty much guaranteed to overclock to 1050. I have the Sapphire and got it up to 1075 without even touching the voltage.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your from the UK, so superbiiz is probably not an option for you
guiltysmiley.gif
Still, either of those two cards is a good choice!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have my GB 7950 up to 1160/1700 without any voltage increase, granted it is at 1.25v stock.

But in actuality the Msi is good too

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like the look of the MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III Boost Edition but wondering what the TFIII coolers are like etc.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Cant say anything with any certainty about the Twin Frozrs but a quick glance at a google search, I'm pretty sure they are very competent and quiet coolers. And I recall people having reported good stuff about them. On the other hand my Sapphire never breaks 61c (overclocked to 1075) and I cant hear a thing.

If the MSI 7950 you're looking at has the same new clock speeds of 900~950 as the GA and Sapphire then go for it!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The MSI I am looking at has:

GPU Clock: 880 MHz
Boost Clock: 960 MHz
Memory Clock: 1250 MHz

·
Registered
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post

The MSI I am looking at has:

GPU Clock: 880 MHz
Boost Clock: 960 MHz
Memory Clock: 1250 MHz
Ok, so that's a 7950 Boost card then. Most people seem to have either Sapphire or Gigabyte, but that is likely only due to the fact that Sapphire and GA were the first ones (along with Powercolor) to jump on the new 7950 bandwagon. I think MSI came out with their 7950B edition only a very short while (days?) ago.

Hard to say anything at this point since not many people have it yet, but imo I think it's a very good choice! If you prefer the aesthetics of the MSI over GA or Sapphire, MSI should be on par with those both in terms of performance and in terms of featuring a high quality, low noise cooling solution. If you want to stick with something tried and true, go with one of the other two. I can vouch for the kickassedness and quietness of the Sapphire.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which Sapphire is it? Can't seem to find it on a UK site. I see the Vapor-X and the Windforce 3X but can't see any others.

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What would you say is the order from best-worst for perfomance and best-worst for noise/temperatures?

·
Registered
885 Posts
The Dual-X is here. Although the manufacturer # (11197-11-40G) is different from mine (11196-16-20G) it appears to be the exact same card. As for which card is 'better' and overclocking potential you can also check the 7950 Owners Thread.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

·
Banned
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

Gigabyte Windforce 3x, Sapphire Dual-X or HIS IceQ perform better, I'd stick with them.

The Gigabyte is the cheapest right now:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-gigabyte-radeon-hd-7950-windforce-3x-5000mhz-gddr5-900mhz-1792-cores-dual-link-dvi-i-hdmi-2x-min

With ZF1 BIOS the card runs at 1.25v which should allow a nice overclock.
thumb.gif
finding an HIS 7950 IceQ x2 is like finding wheres waldo.........

even newegg doesnt get them in stock, im starting to wonder what kind of card HIS put out, maybe it was a dud that survived or a test card or what?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitty13 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUpgrade View Post

I have a Sapphire 7950 boost OC (100352-2L) that also has the Dual-X fans and BIOS switch. This GPU overclocks so easily and already comes 925/1250 stock, voltage is locked at 1.25v but I have mine running 1150/1550 just fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006
Can't the voltage lock be changed in BIOS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

OP go with the sapphire HD 7950 boost . good cooler. excellent price. 1100 - 1150 mhz overclock is common.
thumb.gif

http://www.ebuyer.com/454252-sapphire-hd-7950-boost-3gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-11196-19-20g
Yes the voltage is locked but you can unlock it if you want to do that. You'll want to avoid the 11196-19-20G that doesn't have 7950 printed on the cooler and the little AMD logo on the PCB. If you can find the older 11196-19-40G, those are the rare 950mhz boost versions (6+8 pin). I always buy GPUs from places that will replace them in the event you get a lemon or if it doesn't overclock the way you expect it to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts