Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had recently inquired about whether or not a GT 730 would work in my HP Elite 8000 CMT computer. Evidently it does not, not to mention the card is of such poor quality it blew up my motherboard and no longer works in anything i try it in. It should be well within spec drawing only 50W on the PCIe lane, but it's such a poor build quality of a card. I have replaced the motherboard and the machine is working again, both with an 8600 GS and the stock GT 210.

I am tired of tearing my hair out over it, and want to try something else in the machine, per a recommendation of what it can actually handle. I would do a power supply upgrade, but it's a proprietary HP PSU with a weird 6 pin motherboard interface, and adapters are almost impossible to get. The system really needs more than an anemic GT 210, which is loud and pretty lousy at everything, and is hardly a good pairing with a 3.3GHz Q9650.

Power supply specs:
+12.1 Vmain 16A MAX
+12.1 Vcpu 16A MAX
+12.1Vmain and 12.1Vcpu shall not exceed 320W
Total continuous output 320W

I don't care if it is Nvidia or AMD, I just want the card to be quiet and strong enough for 1080p60 video and maybe 4k if it can handle it. No gaming will be done on the machine.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
If you're not planning any gaming - should GT730/GTX750 be plenty for 4k? Or if it needs to be newer - RX550/560 or GeForce GT1030.

·
Iconoclast
30,428 Posts
A GT 1030 is your best bet.

Failing that, if you have a 6-pin PCI-E power connector, or a pair of free molex connectors and a 2x4-pin to 6-pin adapter, I'd look at an non-Polaris AMD GPU that requires supplemental power as they tend to draw almost nothing from the slot itself.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,816 Posts
RX 550 or GT 1030 gets my vote.

Used, see if you can find a GTX 750. The non-TI variant of the 750 usually goes for pretty cheap and it sips power.

·
Network Architect
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A GT 1030 is your best bet.

Failing that, if you have a 6-pin PCI-E power connector, or a pair of free molex connectors and a 2x4-pin to 6-pin adapter, I'd look at an non-Polaris AMD GPU that requires supplemental power as they tend to draw almost nothing from the slot itself.
To clarify on the connector situation, there are no spare connectors, not even molex, the sata power are on 4 pin EPS style headers coming from the board itself and that's all you get... I don't know if they ever sold a 6 pin for it, possibly a dual molex.

The cheap passive GT 1030 might be sufficient, but also going to look at a few more of the suggested options.

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
or just get a better psu

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,816 Posts

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
I might have a 450 watter sitting in my closet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts