Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I'm building my new rig, and I get everything hooked up only to be hit with the CPU and DRAM led lights on.

So I start going through process of eliminator and disconnect everything one at a time (USB, GPU, HDD, ect) until only I'm left with RAM and CPU and I still get the lights. Then I remove memory, and still get lights.

I'm getting kind of paranoid now thinking I screwed something up, so I took the hyper 212+ off my i7 2600k and realized there was some thermal compound that made its way over the edge of the processor's metal top, so I attempted to clean it- I dont know enough to know if this is extremely harmful or not...but anyways here's some detailed pics of everything.

Picture of the CPU installed, look towards the SOUTH end to see a little bit of the thermal paste I was describing...I cleaned it better after this pic but I dont know enough to know if this is harmful to the CPU

more images of the cpu

cpu

cpu socket

lights on without memory, DRAM light actually blinks

lights on with ram installed, DRAM light actually blinks

Parts:
sabertooth p67
i7 2600k
g.skills 1600mhz 8gb (4x2) DDR3 ram

·
Registered
523 Posts
try pushing and holding the Memok button its top right next to the red led.

·
Registered
523 Posts
this will allow your system to boot up into bios so you can adjust the setting to be proper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never had this system running before, I've never had the OS installed...it's been my goal to get to BIOS but I can't get past the erros...I've been using the MEMOK button to do the tests which I took pictures of, I can't get to BIOS without having these lights go away so I can boot into bios, correct?

When everything was connected I was getting a NO VGA/NO DVI detected on my monitor when hooked up to my GTX 570 (only way to hook up monitor as there are no other places to do so on this build)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Push the little button next to the LED up at the right so it can do some tests to make your memory work with the board. Otherwise you might also have a bad stick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice guys- but I AM using the MEMOK button to power on the mobo and run these tests.

·
Registered
523 Posts
after you push the button it will flash for a bit and then after some time 1-5 minutes and it will boot if not try a different set of ram.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its my understanding that this is somehow a CPU or MOBO issue as you're always going to get DRAM light on if CPU light is on...correct?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Right the next logical step is to try a single stick in the second slot. One at a time to see if you have a bad one causing it to not boot.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I hope you put the CPU cooler back on when you try to get it to POST otherwise your CPU will do a thermal shutdown anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUpgrade View Post

I hope you put the CPU cooler back on when you try to get it to POST otherwise your CPU will do a thermal shutdown anyway.
CPU cooler back on and single stick on RAM in A2 yielded same results. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm1 View Post

pretty much everything h as been covered, i think. you may have a faulty mobo.
That's kind of what I'm thinking as well...I haven't tried resetting the CMOS yet,will attempt when I get home.

By biggest concern is did I harm the CPU with that extra bit of thermal paste? I bought the MOBO used, but the seller said I can return it within 14 days so I'm good there and while reading newegg's CPU replacement policy I got the impression they would nit-pick every little thing with my CPU to deny an exchange if that was indeed the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just reset the CMOS on the mobo.

Before I did that the power would kick on (with DRAM and CPU lights) and the fans would go on, then all cut off and then start back up again.

After I reset CMOS, power kicked on with same indicator lights and fans (no kick off in between).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'd say its a faulty mobo and the thermal paste shouldn't be a problem at all. I've seen people get paste inside the cpu socket and try to clean it out and after that it still works fine.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Why on earth do you have the board powered up with no cooler on the CPU?!?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Why on earth do you have the board powered up with no cooler on the CPU?!?!
I did have the cooler on, but I just took it off real quick to examine the CPU and socket and put it back in to see if maybe this time it would work properly. Having the cooler off and turning it on for less than 2 minutes wasn't going to damage anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've got a new PSU waiting at home, I'm going to try that and then if that doesn't work the board is being sent back for replacement- hopefully it's just a board issue and not a CPU issue so I won't have to deal with newegg trying to find a reason to not replace the CPU

1 - 20 of 21 Posts