Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to overclock to 3.8 and my computer froze at the windows logo so I retarted and it did 2 beeps. It starts up but nothing on screen. the firrst 2 restarts it showd my motherboard menu but now nothing did I fry my CPU??

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I get no beeps now. How can I reset my bios thru not seeing anything??

·
Registered
390 Posts
look in your motherboard manual, you will have to turn your pc off, unplug and hit the power a few times (clears residual power).

next, if your motherboard doesn't have a button on it to clear cmos, you will need to place a jumper on the correct pins (refer to manuel)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
there is a jumper on the motherboard itself. look it up in your manual - it will probably be titled "reset cmos" or something along those lines.

switch the jumper and then switch it back or connect the 2 pins depending on your board. should post fine after that.

and next time, please wait at least 24 hours before bumping your thread

·
Registered
233 Posts
in answer to your question, you most likely didn't fry your chip at that speed, so don't worry.

However, that all depends on how much vcore you were pumping through it.

anyway, reset your cmos (per your manual) and the post back with results.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sounds to me like an unstable overclock. It's VERY unlikely that you killed your chip with 1.4v. My brother has a 955 and he has it running at 3.6 with 1.4v and it's 24 hours prime95 stable.

Focus on getting a high overclock later though, for now just try to get your system booting again.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-U-B-A-R;11966022
IT WORKED! thanks alot guys!! (= Saved me around 120$ =.='
It's an integral step to know how to do when overclocking (clearing CMOS), and there was literally almost no chance you fried your chip or motherboard.

And with your CPU cooler it would be almost impossible to kill an AM3 chip with anything less than 1.55 volts. I would say 1.6 likely. Shoot, look at mine - I'm running 1.5volts between 16-24 hours a day (I turn off at nights sometimes) and I'm perfectly fine. The standard seems to be with Load temps below 55degrees and exactly or less than 1.5 volts will be PERFECT for 24/7 operation.

You will have that overclocked in no time ... make sure your get your Northbridge overclocked to at least around 2600mhz. With your RAM timings you'll be screaming along in the sweet spot of RAM/NB performance. If you can get your NB up higher on less than 1.4 volts then go nuts, it's all gravy from there and the NB gives a much larger real world performance boost, including most notably much higher minimum FPS in gaming (less spikes that drop down low, thus less perceptible "lag").

·
Registered
233 Posts
Glad to help, enjoy! Not to mention, OCN is the most helpful PC forum on the net. Period.

• Rep+
Reactions: willibj

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basenne;11966093
Glad to help, enjoy! Not to mention, OCN is the most helpful PC forum on the net. Period.
^^ This - years of trawling has confirmed this. The best help, most knowledge and most exotic systems exist on this forum.

+1 rep for telling it like it is
smile.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts