Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone help me with a bios update I'm following instructions on evga website to update bios i downloaded patch file, then i run it , it goes into command prompt and asks if you want to flash press y then enter... then i do that and nothing happens.. Is it updating behind the scenes? will i no when my bios starts to flash i mean nothing is happening and im afriad to turn the pc off or do anything or to try and do it again

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
You need to flash it from a dos environment. This is a good one: http://www.freedos.org

Get the small image and use hp usb disk format tool to flash the files onto it. Place the bios update on that new disk and boot from it. Then, execute the exe file like you tried in the command prompt and it should flash ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i will try that but why on the fourms does it give instruction to flash from windows if you the user cannot do this? And will i no if my bios is undergoing the flashing process?

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Josh what you should do is download the bios update, then put it onto a usb stick. Restart your pc, then run from the usb stick, and update the bios that way, its more reliable than doing it from within windows, ive done it like that and works everytime. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I've only done it with Asus motherboards but I assume that yes, you will know.

Are the instructions from EVGA or a user? I'd be surprised (and I'd try it from a dos disk anyway, since you don't want to risk a BIOS).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Please change your title. Always briefly summarize your specific issue in your title. "Help Please" is too ambiguous and will not get the hits you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks I will read up on how to flash from a flash drive, The real reason for this post was for finding out from more advanced users if i trucked myself..
what worried me was when i tried to run the file it went into the command screen and i tried to run the flash and it did nothing, Being that this is my first attempt at doing this i just was confused if it was flashing in background, so then i re-ran the flash again, thinking maybe i did something wrong, then i thought i crap did i just double flash and ruin my mOBO... i better go to the pro's for help...... I cannot belive that EVGA doesn't explain better the options for bios updating for us newbies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts