Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been out of the loop for a few years. I need to upgrade my PC but I haven't kept up with tech very much and don't know really where to start and don't feel like spending a week scouring the internet catching up.

Basically, I need a new motherboard, CPU, cooler, RAM, and an SSD (and maybe a new video card). Already have a serviceable case, PSU, and storage drives.

For the SSD I am considering the PNY CS1311 240GB for $60 off Amazon. Is there anything better at a comparable price point? Also leaning toward an i5 but don't know which one.

That's as far as I've gotten. Trying to keep the cost below USD600.

So what do you guys recommend?

ETA: Currently running an old Core 2 Duo system on dual-24" monitors.

Main use is schoolwork (Excel, Powerpoint etc...). Also occasional photo editing and gaming (don't need to max things out though).

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnad View Post

Whats your main use with it?
Yeah, I guess that would be important info lol

Mainly schoolwork (Excel, Powerpoint etc...). Also occasional photo editing, video playback, and gaming (don't need to max things out though).

Updated OP.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why not Skylake?

i5 6500
Asrock h170 pro4s
Sapphire r9 380

we are around 600 and you'll have room for a future gpu upgrade that maybe a 6100 would not allow

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. They got me looking in the right direction. Here is what I went with. I went a little over budget but I'm okay with that. After some creative use of Jet.com coupons the total came to ~$723 after tax.

i5 6600k - $204 (Jet.com)
ASUS z170a - $141 (Jet.com)
Sapphire r9 380 4GB - $176 (Jet.com)
Cryorig H7 - $38 (Newegg)
16GB DDR4 3000 - $70 (Newegg)
Samsung Evo 240GB - $94 (Amazon)

Total - $723

Now I'm thinking about picking up a new case...any decent ones that won't break the bank?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts