Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just installed an intel 80gig SSD. I installed windows 7 on it. Everytime I boot up my computer it says "Windows failed to start" then gives me the option to do a repair restart or start windows normally... I select start windows normally and it works fine... but why is this happening?

One more thing you should know just incase. Right after installing windows to the SSD the first thing i did was plug in a 1TB RevoDrive Hyrbrid SSD directly into a PCIe slot in my motherboard while it was running, and also plugged in a 1TB HDD. The Hybrid Drive shows up in My Computer, but the HDD does not. I have restarted my computer several times since then, and the 1TB HDD will never show up in My Computer as if it weren't plugged in. And I get the Windows Failed to Start message everytime I reboot even though when I press "Start Windows Normally" it works fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did you try to install the Chipset drivers ? What is the motherboard you are using ? You could also try a Startup repair .

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 LGA 1155 and I just did the driver reinstall from the disk. I've tried the repair install and it changes nothing...

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I selected the option to "Install all drivers and extras" or something like that, the complete installation..

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you go to device manager ( Right click COMPUTER , then click on manage ) then click on device manager . Does the hard drive show up under Disk Drives?

Added: Just a thought before you installed Windows 7 did you update the firmware of the SSD drive where you installed Windows ?

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I made a mistake in that first post, after installation of windows 7 on my 80gig ssd, the HDD was never plugged in, but the SSD was inserted while the computer was running through a PCIe slot. The SDD was showing up in "My Computer" at one point, it was completely empty, I opened it in Windows Explorer and tried to make a new folder then it crashed and when I reopened "My Computer" It was not there.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do I format the boot drive? Is it done through BIOs cuz thats the only thing i can do with my computer, atm.

i turn on power, it shows bios, then windows tries to start an freezes. No option to start in safe mode or anything

·
Registered
833 Posts
if you have a windows boot disc you can go into your bios and set your usb or cd drive to boot first and insert media device and you should be able to get into the windows installation screen were you will have the options to format, partition, and a few other options and info on the drives. it is important that you only have your boot drive connected at this point.

·
Registered
302 Posts
In bios set BOOT sequence so it reads from CD drive. Put your Windows 7 CD and start the computer. You should see a message to "Press any key to boot from CD..."

BTW, I am assuming you have a Windows 7 Bootable CD, not an UPDATE one because UPDATE wont work.

·
A.K.A. Droptimus
2,288 Posts
I've got it figured out its my HDD thats totally ****ed. I just installed windows to my hybrid ssd and its working fine, but everytime i connect my old hdd it completely ****s up my computer its very strange, what should I do about this, is there a way to reset this drive?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is it an old SSD? SSD's have a lifespan, the more you write to them, the closer you get to them deteriorating. Once your SSD fails, I don't think there is a way back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts