Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here goes.
my father in laws pc crashed. its an emachines sumthin or other but has an intel dual core processer and some kindof crap mini atx mobo. the only "mods" were an added ati gfx card (not sure which) and a 2 gig stick of ram. (3 gig total) ok so he was playing a game (soldier of fortune 2) and all the sudden the game crashed. sof2 has closed error message appeared and as soon as he clicked the x the whole pc shutdown. my first instink
smile.gif
was to tell them remove the gfx card and it worked . keep in mind the pc is in tn and im in nc.
so thinking gfx card was problem i left it at that but he tried to reload his game to no avail. i figured old drivers where being used so i remote connected to them via teamviewer. for sum reason i decided to update old integrated gfx then remove old ati drivers. so i rebooted their pc then my phone rang. the pc wont boot again. i lead them thru removing and reseating everything exept cpu and even tried the paperclip psu test which passed. during all this the pc now will only cut on for 3 sec. tops ( fans spinn up) then shut down again. sometimes he can get it to stay on by pressing button alot of times but doesnt even beep or post.

Any idea of what the problem could be? im in a jam because he will be bringing me the pc in 2 weeks to try to fix but will only be down shortly so no time incae a part i dont have needs to be ordered.

btw sorry for the drawn out post but i wanted to be as detailed as possible. thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Reset the CMOS and then re-install the OS. If he has important information on the drive then take it out and connect it to another PC and pull the information off first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue6228;13059753
Reset the CMOS and then re-install the OS. If he has important information on the drive then take it out and connect it to another PC and pull the information off first.
cmos reset and batt removed and reinstalled ? nothing
hd has important info but no other pc to put it in and either way it wont even post to re install OS

gfx card is ati radeon .....4 series i think passive cooled
psu is i have no clue stock for e machines pc....
os is win 7

i just find it odd that it wouldnt post and now it wont stay on for 2 sec...
maybe mobo or cpu???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have plenty of supplies here to test each pieces separate but thats when it gets here. my main reason for asking is because if it happens to be a dead mobo or cpu i will not have time to order parts. i could guide him thru some things but he has no other spares.

so i take it the psu would be suspect first? even with the 3 stage shut down?

edit : thanks for the read and replies!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ViSioNx
View Post

i have plenty of supplies here to test each pieces separate but thats when it gets here. my main reason for asking is because if it happens to be a dead mobo or cpu i will not have time to order parts. i could guide him thru some things but he has no other spares.

so i take it the psu would be suspect first? even with the 3 stag shut down?

edit : thanks for the read and replies!!


From the read, I suspect the PSU. That would be where I would try first. If you have a spare... go that route first. IF its not that, then try removing the added ram. Then trouble shoot the sticks one at a time. I have had ram and a PSU give similiar issues before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by TDS
View Post

From the read, I suspect the PSU. That would be where I would try first. If you have a spare... go that route first. IF its not that, then try removing the added ram. Then trouble shoot the sticks one at a time. I have had ram and a PSU give similiar issues before.

had him remove and re seat all ram and thats when it started failing to stay on. even without ram or any drives hooked it fails to stay on
 

·
Chainsaw noise far off
Joined
·
6,012 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ViSioNx
View Post

had him remove and re seat all ram and thats when it started failing to stay on. even without ram or any drives hooked it fails to stay on

Well it's not going to run with no ram.It's a tough call,e machine motherboards are terrible.Have you had him try just one stick of ram?A bad ram module can cause these issues.Not to mention someone tinkering inside a pc who doesn't know what they are doing.Maybe his cpu power connector isn't plugged in?Sounds like after he tested with the paper clip he failed to plug the cpu power back in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsi38t;13060185
Well it's not going to run with no ram.It's a tough call,e machine motherboards are terrible.Have you had him try just one stick of ram?A bad ram module can cause these issues.Not to mention someone tinkering inside a pc who doesn't know what they are doing.Maybe his cpu power connector isn't plugged in?Sounds like after he tested with the paper clip he failed to plug the cpu power back in.
i know but i figured it may post even with errror. and yes i had him try each stick searate in each slot in case the slot was bad. yeh sounds like something power related to me but seemed odd the 3 stages it took to die
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
I think you will be better off to wait till you get your hands on it ! (IMO) i HAVE TRIED THIS WITH MY PARENTS AND ITS REALLY HARD ,IF THEY HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE AS WELL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
For a bad motherboard, you could look the motherboard over for scorched or discolored areas, swollen caps, etc. Even if there is no sign of damage it still doesn't rule it out. For the cpu, the only way I know of is to test it in another mobo.

sent from my Captivate running Cognition4.3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so i now have this pc at my house. i took the time to tear out my psu from my rig only to see it power up for about 3 seconds and cut back off. ive checked the mobo over and even the cpu and still see no burnt or abnormal areas. also tried diff ram and hdd's
with all of my rigs being amd i have no way to test the mobo and cpu seperate. so big question is which one should i order first? or possibly order both , then rma the unused part?

thanks for any input guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top