Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im in some desperate need for help. Today as usual i shutdown my computer and then disconnect it from everything to give it a quick dusting. When i try plugging everything back in and starting it up, i get a quick flicker of lights on my mobo, and on and on. It wont start up :[ now when i connected it to just the fans in my pc and jumped it, it did a few flickers of the leds on the fans and then they finally started up :[ But i cant get it to work with my actual computer. Its done this once before but i just hit the switch on the back and turned it back on and it worked. Now no matter what i do i cant get it to work.

I really hope its not dead :/ its just my luck that as soon as i get into a financial situation all my pc parts die :[

What are your opinions?

Will REP+ for help

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well, hate to tell you - but it does sound like it's gone bad on you. It didn't start the fans right away stable when you tried to jump it? Then it most likely a PSU issue.

Although, try resetting CMOS like ljason8eg says. It could help. But for now my finger is on the PSU. It shouldn't have any problems running the fans smooth at once when jumping it if it's healthy.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
did you remove any of your parts or your mobo from the case? If the answer is yes, try removing everything from the case and booting it up. Something might be grounding out and causing your PC not to boot.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Well first off buddy make absolutely sure that you have everything connected and firm. For some reason though Im getting the feeling something might have came loose.

• Rep+
Reactions: heelsparky0501

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
everything is connected, i cleared the cmos, still same thing. I didnt remove or add any parts to my rig :[ ugh, i guess that means i need to buy a new psu, daum :[

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by heelsparky0501
View Post

everything is connected, i cleared the cmos, still same thing. I didnt remove or add any parts to my rig :[ ugh, i guess that means i need to buy a new psu, daum :[

Don't give up on it. Take the mobo out of the case and test it in the open. As has been said...something could be shorting out.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, ill try booting up my pc open :]

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
I would pull the psu and check the rails without anything on them. Add a few fans and then check voltages again.

If the voltage is being drawn down just from fans it's time to rma that psu or buy another one.

But it does sound like bad psu in my book.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
something could be loose or shorting preventing the pc from powering up.

Take out all your parts and put them together on a table or box to ensure nothing is shorting out. When you put the parts together, first put the bare minimum in (cpu/gpu/ 1 stick of ram) and try to boot. If it turns on and boots, turn it off then add another piece of equipment and boot up again. Repeat until you either narrow down the part that is shorting out or everything comes up without any hitch. Then put the PC back together in the case, ensuring that you dont have any extra stand offs on your mobo tray that might be shorting your mobo out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My computer would do the same thing (power on for a few seconds with lights and fans) then off and on. Turns out it was the RAM, (not compatible with my other ram sticks!?)

I agree with aawa - use only one stick of ram in slot one (or whatever the single slot you're supposed to use) and see if that helps.

EDIT: also do you have a multimeter you can use to see what the volts are? - that's probably your best bet because you don't want to give your mobo and GPU low volts (like a brownout)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont have a multimeter at home :/ so im going to try the "set it up piece by piece" method" This is just going to suk because i cut wires and hid them and everything and i need to cut them to get them out :/

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by heelsparky0501 View Post
i dont have a multimeter at home :/ so im going to try the "set it up piece by piece" method" This is just going to suk because i cut wires and hid them and everything and i need to cut them to get them out :/
Wait..you CUT the PSU wires?! That's not good if it's actually bad lol.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no not the psu wires, i had a molex to sata adapter that i cut and resoldered back togeather to fit it through a hole

sorry about the confusion

1 - 16 of 16 Posts