Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am needing some information on SATA. How it works, what you need, yada yada yada.

You can see my setup in my sig, and my HDD is just your standard IDE. Is my board a good choice/possibility to run SATA? Can I do SATA with just 1 hard drive? What's the best setup for WinXP and some graphics intensive games?

How do you hook it all up? Are the power connections on SATA hard drives the same as non-SATA hard drives? Also, I think I saw some wires coming out of my PSU labeled "SATA"... what's it all mean jethro?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Well, I'll look up your mobo in a second to see if it is compatible with SATA. You need a SATA HDD, a SATA cable, and your powersupply must have a SATA power hookup. On your mobo there should be up to 4 slots to pug in SATA cables if it is compatible. They are about an inch long. You also have to enable the SATA controller in your bios.

• Rep+
Reactions: mdameron

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yep, you have a SATA compatible mobo, so you can do it.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

Yep, you have a SATA compatible mobo, so you can do it.

Here be a pic with the SATA connections circled.

• Rep+
Reactions: mdameron

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, this forum is awesome!

So just an SATA HDD is really the only thing I need to buy? Do these HDDs come with the SATA cable?

What's a good SATA drive?

Ahh, one more question, Is it possible to set up the new HDD with my old one still in it, and then transfer everything over?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdameron

Wow, this forum is awesome!

So just an SATA HDD is really the only thing I need to buy? Do these HDDs come with the SATA cable?

What's a good SATA drive?

Ahh, one more question, Is it possible to set up the new HDD with my old one still in it, and then transfer everything over?

Oui (yes) it is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, how to you let it know what RAID setup you want to run? Is it in the mobo's drivers? When I installed the Mobo's software, it installed this "VIA/RAID tool"

Would I set it up in that?

Also, with just one SATA hard drive, what RAID setup would I run to help with gaming?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I've done a bit of google-ing... and I've got some answers to some of my questions.

First off, if I'm only going with one SATA HDD, and no other HDD, technically I'm not doing RAID, correct? Also, what are some benefits (speed) from going from a single standard IDE HDD 7200rpm, to a single SATA HDD 7200rpm?

I checked out my PSU's wires, and I already have a SATA power connector. Where can I find the other SATA wire I need, and what do they look like?

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
First off, you will need a seperate driver for the SATA drive. If you are planning to transfer the OS from the PATA drive to the SATA, it won't work, unless you use Ghost or Drive image. Otherwise, you will be installing from scratch and will require a floppy disk with your SATA driver for Windows installation.

Second, There is no benefit in games for a striped RAID array vs. single drive. SATA or PATA. If you are looking for speed increases, put your OS and games on a 74GB Raptor, and get a seperate drive for your movies, MP3's and such. It is a perfect set-up. Striped array's are only beneficial with video editing and the likes. Now that most games are highly compressed, most of the load times are spent with the CPU decompressing the CAB files, not accessing the drive.

3rd you won't need a special connector, because the drives use either a SATA power connector or the standard 4 pin molex. You will however need a SATA data cable, but those come with a retail drive, or could be purchased for a few bucks.

4th you need to make sure that your BIOS doesn't need upgraded to support SATA. Also, make sure that your motherboard allows you to use all of the SATA and IDE headers at the same time. The AS8 motherboard I had would disable the Primary IDE if you used SATA without enabling "Enabled Mode" in the BIOS.

Confused? Let us know if you need more help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts