Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short, I got a drive from a friend after I did some work for him. Didn't ask for payment, but he gave me a spare drive anyway. I ran Seatools on it, the guy's abit shifty on me sometimes when it comes to money or payment stuff, and it sound 22 bad sectors. No big deal, Seatools reports all of em fixed. Boot the machine, delete the drive partitions, format it. Start COPYING data to it, not cut and paste. Machine locks, restarts, comes up... drive is missing and any data that had been copied is now missing off the source drive.

Seagate won't help because apperantly it came out of an HP. I don't give a damn about the drive itself, I can toss it and not bat an eye, except it has my entire music library and gigs upon gigs of ebooks, as well as some other stuff I've had for years I rather wanted to keep. Gonna try running seatools on it again tonight, I know second check after failure it reported more then 50bad sectors while still at 0% completion, but it passed short tests.

I'm assuming it to be electronics that are bad because mechanicly it sounds fine and it detects in windows again, just won't acess through windows. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve I can try to recover my stuff with?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Your best bet might be one of those recovery programs. I'm not aware of any reliable free ones.

Another option might be using a linux disc, either Knoppix, or a liveCD from any distro, mount your ntfs drives, and see if you can access the data.

I don't really know why your source data would disappear. That's not normal.

Also, could you make your title a little more descriptive?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a buddy loaning me a copy of Ubuntu Ultimate today, hoping that may help. Was thinking of maybe removing the PCB and seeing if I could borrow one from one of my buddies here, but have never actually tried something like that.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
For you to remove the PCB, you would have to have one from exactly the same drive. Same model, size and everything.

Try Recuva or programs like that first.

·
Registered
698 Posts
you could try Recuva. It's made by piriform, the same people who make ccleaner and it's free. It should tell you if anything's lurking under the surface.

Obviously don't do anything with the drive like write files to it as the more you do the smaller the chance of a full recovery.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabis View Post
I have a buddy loaning me a copy of Ubuntu Ultimate today, hoping that may help. Was thinking of maybe removing the PCB and seeing if I could borrow one from one of my buddies here, but have never actually tried something like that.
What's Ubuntu "Ultimate"?

In any case it's strange that the files you were "copying" disappeared from the SOURCE drive... That only happens when you "move" files

In any case, you can use GetDataBack, or FileScavenger, or Recuva
Some recommend Easeus too, but it looks like it only recovers 1GB... http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywi...y-software.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts