Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting frustrated a while back trying to overclock my cpu I am feeling more determined now.

system specs:
cpu: I5-3570k
mobo: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
memory: 16 GB G SKILL ARES F3-1866C10D-16GAB 2 X (8)
GPU: 7950 GV-R795WF3-3GD
ssd:hyperx 960gb
air cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

According to this guide:
It says to put your memory at its default settings, set your multiplier to reach 4ghz, and start vcore at 1.070V. He points out that "most if not all cpus can run 4ghz at stock voltage" and this is echoed in just about everything else I have read. So this problem one. I definitely did not reach that with so little vcore and this makes me think either I am doing something totally wrong or my cpu is garbage tier. I am going to assume its the first possibility. I figured maybe this was because turbo was on so I turned that off, and it wasn't able to boot into windows at all until it reached 1.1vcore which displays in cpuid as 1.092 vcore. Anyway:

The first thing I did was look up my ram to see what it recommended:
and it says
10-11-10-30
1866MHz
1.50v
(the guides say don't use xmp,so I didn't)

Any thoughts on why It is needing so much more vcore than everyone elses? or is it because my memory settings are way off? Or is it something else? Also, should I be tuning this with turbo on or off?
 

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
Joined
·
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex of the West View Post

After getting frustrated a while back trying to overclock my cpu I am feeling more determined now.

system specs:
cpu: I5-3570k
mobo: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
memory: 16 GB G SKILL ARES F3-1866C10D-16GAB 2 X (8)
GPU: 7950 GV-R795WF3-3GD
ssd:hyperx 960gb
air cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

According to this guide:
It says to put your memory at its default settings, set your multiplier to reach 4ghz, and start vcore at 1.070V. He points out that "most if not all cpus can run 4ghz at stock voltage" and this is echoed in just about everything else I have read. So this problem one. I definitely did not reach that with so little vcore and this makes me think either I am doing something totally wrong or my cpu is garbage tier. I am going to assume its the first possibility. I figured maybe this was because turbo was on so I turned that off, and it wasn't able to boot into windows at all until it reached 1.1vcore which displays in cpuid as 1.092 vcore. Anyway:

The first thing I did was look up my ram to see what it recommended:
and it says
10-11-10-30
1866MHz
1.50v
(the guides say don't use xmp,so I didn't)

Any thoughts on why It is needing so much more vcore than everyone elses? or is it because my memory settings are way off? Or is it something else? Also, should I be tuning this with turbo on or off?
It doesnt seem to need more Vcore than everyone elses, I honestly don't know where you got this from he does say "for me I was able to get to 4.0ghz on stock volts with my 3770k, not bad at all considering i bought it at 3.5ghz"

That is not bad that yours needs a little more voltage to get to 4.0, as to do you have a bad chip? It is too early to tell whether your chip is bad or not tbh, it seems to take a bit of a voltage bump to get to 4.0 but that doesn't mean the chip is bad. Is it the best probably not, will you be able to pull a massive performance boost, yes.

That guide is very good and following that will surely lead you into greener pastures of CPU performance. Dont worry about it if it needs a little more voltage that guide is old as is your chip degradation changes everything as a CPU ages it needs more voltage to reach the same speed.

Your memory is at its rated speed so no issues there just ensure its set to 2n.

Yes turn turbo boost off and leave it off.

Go ahead and go further with your cpu it will be fine it wont hit 5.0ghz and 1.4v but it will OC for a nice performance boost. Just dont be afraid to feed it some voltage every chip is different no one can answer your settings. Just stay at or under 1.4v and go for it and see how high you can get it
smile.gif
and realize that the difference between 4.5 and 4.6 is so abysmal you wont notice it so don't worry just squeeze out them MHZ.

Goodluck and let me know how high you get that sucker
smile.gif
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Settings:
4.4ghz / 1.255 vcore / LLC: turbo / cpu turbo: off / memory: 'optimized default' / no other settings changed.
results: passed a few hour stress test of prime 95. The highest temp was 75C on the second from the right core using real temp. The one on the far left and the far right always get a solid 5 degrees less than the middle two under load.
(I will likely do a overnight stress test on this tonight)

several tests later...
Settings:
4.5ghz/ 1.300 vcore/turbo off/LLC turbo/ cpu turbo off
results: passed a 20 minute stress test, avg load temps were about low to mid 70s,but highest were: 74 / 80 / 81 / 76. These seem pretty hot for only 20 minutes in. So I imagine 4.4 will probably be the sweet spot for a 24/7 clock.

Any tips or advice to improve either my 4.4 or 4.5?
I plan to turn on xmp on my memory after my cpu overclock is locked in.
 

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
Joined
·
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex of the West View Post

Settings:
4.4ghz / 1.255 vcore / LLC: turbo / cpu turbo: off / memory: 'optimized default' / no other settings changed.
results: passed a few hour stress test of prime 95. The highest temp was 75C on the second from the right core using real temp. The one on the far left and the far right always get a solid 5 degrees less than the middle two under load.
(I will likely do a overnight stress test on this tonight)

several tests later...
Settings:
4.5ghz/ 1.300 vcore/turbo off/LLC turbo/ cpu turbo off
results: passed a 20 minute stress test, avg load temps were about low to mid 70s,but highest were: 74 / 80 / 81 / 76. These seem pretty hot for only 20 minutes in. So I imagine 4.4 will probably be the sweet spot for a 24/7 clock.

Any tips or advice to improve either my 4.4 or 4.5?
I plan to turn on xmp on my memory after my cpu overclock is locked in.
Awesome see that's not a bad chip at all
smile.gif
. As for advice yes, Whichever you pick up your voltage by.05 or .10 this will account for degradation so you don't have issues later
smile.gif
.

Also dont rely solely on p95 Its good to show a good start but in no way means completely stable. However from P95 you can use more tests or just roll with it and play some games, if you crash or BSOD at all though in normal use then go back add a few volts and adjust again and use that program for stability testing and dont worry
smile.gif
.

EX my I7 4820k can hit 4.7 and be very stable in p95 and Aida and IBT for all night runs no issues but then if I run Dragon Age Origins for 5-10 mins crash to BSOD I then need to add more voltage to get it rock solid. So just be wary of that and dont trip when it happens youll get it ironed on and be rock solid soon enough
smile.gif
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 4.4 clock failed at the 9th hour of testing prime. I upped the vcore by .05 and will try again tonight.

I am trying to understand the best most reliably stable way to overclock. My goal is to get the highest clock at the lowest temp and make it totally stable. That being said I would like to ask for further clarification on the following things and the different reasons for using or not using them because I do not fully understand what each of them do:

-cpu turbo: what does this actually do?
-DVID voltage offset: (What I really want to know is how to change this and more specifically what to set it to)
-C3: What is this and what does it do?
-C6: What is this and what does it do?
-CIE: What is this and what does it do?
-EIST: What is this and what does it do?
turbo current limits (list 200a and 300w)

Overclocking with all turned on: ?
VS everything on except turbo: ?
VS purely fixed voltage where cpu turbo, c3, c6, cie, eist turned OFF
 

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
Joined
·
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex of the West View Post

My 4.4 clock failed at the 9th hour of testing prime. I upped the vcore by .05 and will try again tonight.

I am trying to understand the best most reliably stable way to overclock. My goal is to get the highest clock at the lowest temp and make it totally stable. That being said I would like to ask for further clarification on the following things and the different reasons for using or not using them because I do not fully understand what each of them do:

-cpu turbo: what does this actually do?
-DVID voltage offset: (What I really want to know is how to change this and more specifically what to set it to)
-C3: What is this and what does it do?
-C6: What is this and what does it do?
-CIE: What is this and what does it do?
-EIST: What is this and what does it do?
turbo current limits (list 200a and 300w)

Overclocking with all turned on: ?
VS everything on except turbo: ?
VS purely fixed voltage where cpu turbo, c3, c6, cie, eist turned OFF
Turbo Boost give the CPU another clock speed that is faster than its stock to run at when needed. It is worthless with overclocking turn it off.
Here is some more info, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

Offset, lets the voltage scale between different amounts depending on its current need, you can overclock with this on however its a different overclocking style and one that I dont not use so I can not answer this.
Here is some more about it. http://www.overclock.net/t/1308512/do-you-use-offset-or-dvid-voltage-or-fixed, I use fixed voltage it is easier.

C3 and C6 are CPU sleep states, they are a low power state that the CPU can enter when the PC sleeps however they can cause instability when you overclock. I don't know what the reason for them causing instability is, but honestly just disable them.
Here is more about them http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-cpu-c-states-power-saving-modes/

C1E and EIST are also power management features. They throttle your chip down in voltage and multiplier when the PC is idle. Having them on with overclocking can causes stability issues.
Here is some more about them http://archive.techarp.com/showarticle89a2-2.html?artno=537&pgno=2

Go fixed voltage with all off, it is the easiest and will give you the best clocks possible. It is possible to pull some pretty good clocks using those settings but it is more difficult and IMO not worth it. Just stay fixed voltage with all off
smile.gif
.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Alex of the West

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got my 4.4 stable for 12 hours. It did a lot more vcore than I hoped it would. It took 1.280 vcore. Hottest temp was 81c.
 

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
Joined
·
3,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex of the West View Post

Finally got my 4.4 stable for 12 hours. It did a lot more vcore than I hoped it would. It took 1.280 vcore. Hottest temp was 81c.
Very nice glad it worked out.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top