Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a WD Caviar SATA HD that is working but I have not loaded SATA drivers. Currently device manager shows Microsoft as the driver provider for the HD so I am assuming it was installed during the XP install. I am guessing I need to update this with the SATA driver supplied with the mobo but the floppy has several different sub-directories and files such that I haven't a clue as to which to use and I have had no luck finding info that gets me to where I need to be. Attached is a screen dump of the directory tree. Maybe one of you know what I should be chasing at this point.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

I have a WD Caviar SATA HD that is working but I have not loaded SATA drivers. Currently device manager shows Microsoft as the driver provider for the HD so I am assuming it was installed during the XP install. I am guessing I need to update this with the SATA driver supplied with the mobo but the floppy has several different sub-directories and files such that I haven't a clue as to which to use and I have had no luck finding info that gets me to where I need to be. Attached is a screen dump of the directory tree. Maybe one of you know what I should be chasing at this point.

The driver for the actual hard drive should be by microsoft.

What you need to have installed from the floppy is your IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Which should get installed when you install your chipset drivers, or if you would have hit F6 at the begging of the windows installation and installed you sata controller from there.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

See, I have nothing listing an SATA drive, only Ultra ATA...ok, I am lost.

I just looked though that mobos manual for abit and you have to enable it in the bios... Here are the setttings.

And you also need to install the intel raid crap from the CD.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Incompatable hardware error. This software is not supported on this chipset."

That is what I got when I tried to run the setup. Hmmm...lost once again. I guess I should be happy that it is at least working. Well, I'll give it another go tomorrow. I will likely hit the Abit sight and get the most current chipset driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts