Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just a brief background, my old Corsair HX750 died around 2 months ago after 5-6yrs of usage (PC was off when I woke up, the inside of the HX750 sparked everytime I tried to turn on my PC) so just used my old 500w silverstone strider PSU (very old, around 7yrs and very low end, around 50-60usd at that time).

Here is my PC Specs:
CPU: 4670K (Not OCd
tongue.gif
)
GPU: 1x 970gtx (factory OCd)
HDD: 500GB + 2TB
SSD: 1x 128GB
FANS: 3x 120mm, 1x 180mm

So yeah, the 500w was able to my system for 2months - 15hours/day. Until just a few days while gaming, the PC would just briefly shutdown and restart. At first it was just 1 time happening per day until it occurred more while gaming and just last night, upon suddenly shutting down, I was not able to turn in on again. I was able to turn it on again after resting it for a few minutes.

So now, I am not gaming on it anymore until I got a replacement PSU.

But since I am not in the US or Europe. (Im from the Philippines) my choices for PSU are not as wide you guys. The following are my options here:
1. Seasonic M12II,P, X, G series
2. Corsair CS, CX, RM series

I'm planning to get the 600/650/660w version of those PSU, just to have some safe allowance for future upgrades(CPU OC + upgrade to Nvidia X80-TI or AMD X90, absolutely 0 plans for SLI/Xfire)/PSU degradation?

I hoping to use this PSU for atleast 4yrs with daily 12-15hrs use, so my main criteria would be reliability within reasonable price. The listed PSUs are all under my reasonable price range but if I could get away with the lowest variant the better.
smile.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

Corsair RM series supposed to be really good.
I see, but I've read the thread about the RM being not really good for its price and I believe the Seasonic G was better. So honestly I am currently torn between the Seasonic G, X, P. I'd like to get the P for assurance, but I always ask my self if I really need it.
tongue.gif

I don't like having to replace things because they are broken.
tongue.gif

Just for price reference(using google covert 1usd = 47.21php)
smile.gif
:
G: 95-100usd
X: 115-120usd
P: 130-135usd

·
Senior OCN Member
40,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

Corsair RM series supposed to be really good.
The old RM are mediocre and a massive ripoff so no
Why you might not want to buy a Corsair RM

The Seasonic G is by far the best bang for buck out of the options listed, also note that the Seasonic platinum has always had problems with coil whine.
Last you dont need more then a 550 watt at most even with OC, as long as you are not doing SLI you dont need any more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

The old RM are mediocre and a massive ripoff so no
Why you might not want to buy a Corsair RM

The Seasonic G is by far the best bang for buck out of the options listed, also note that the Seasonic platinum has always had problems with coil whine.
Last you dont need more then a 550 watt at most even with OC, as long as you are not doing SLI you dont need any more.
Thanks, that article was the one I found while checking the RM via Google.
tongue.gif
Also read that the RMx are good but only the 750w are available in my country. So that supports my planned G purchase.

Reliability-wise the G, X, and P should not be that different right? I mean, anyone of them can easily do the 4yrs normal usage (15hrs day, 1/yr dusting/cleaning, 4/yr unplanned power outage, 0 lightning strike). Since after sales support in the Philippines is so much hassle and time consuming, store only honor 1yr warranty, after that you have to find a way to contact the distributor (good luck on having a response) to ship the item, then wait a month or few until the replacement arrive. This is the reason why reliability is very important to me, since I don't really care if it has a 5,7,10yr warranty, it is always 1yr store warranty, +2yrs distributor warranty in the PH.
mad.gif

Lastly, I believe the G is fairly new PSU (revision 3, released 2014?), so how does this stack against my old Corsair HX750? Spec-wise is the G better than the HX750 release 10+yrs ago? No idea how far the PSU tech moved all these years.
smile.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
40,424 Posts
The G series is a mid range series where the X and P are more high end end but they also tend to be overpriced.
I would not get a P those are a ripoff and as said before they have problems with coil whine.

I would get either a G or an X, but it depends which X we are talking about as there is a KM a KM2 and a KM3 version of the Seasonic X.
If we are talking KM3 get that one if we are talking KM or KM2 get a Seasonic G instead.

last the RMi and RMx has nothing to do with the old RM.
Corsair RMi and RMx series explained

1 - 8 of 8 Posts