Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
You need to provide more information.

What distro are you using? How are you connecting to the internet (wired vs wireless)? What hardware is it using?

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Okay, so Ubuntu and you're using a wired internet connection. Now we're onto something! I assume you're using Ubuntu 9.10? That is the latest version.

Okay, let's take a look at what hardware you're using.

Go Applications>Accessories>Terminal and type in this command:

Code:
Code:
lspci
that first letter is a lower case L.

Highlight all of it, right click and copy it. Paste it here in between the code brackets.

Code:
paste output here

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Take your time. I just woke up. I'll be around. What you're looking for is something like this. This is from my machine:

Code:
Code:
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yangas
View Post

I'm reinstalling the linux so i have the 64 bit cause I had the 32 bit before. I;m wondering though if I'll still be able to run games and such on it. By games I mean mainly cs:s and getting ventrilo.

I don't think you can run Ventrillo. You probably can run CS:S in Wine. There is a great thread about gaming in Wine around here.

Looking at the Wine App database, CS:S will run.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
That looks like it! That should be plug and play. Just plug your internet in and look in the upper right hand corner. It should connect.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Hmm.

Next step is to see if eth0 is available.

Open Applications>Accessories>Terminal and type:

Code:
Code:
ifconfig

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
This is weird. I don't think I can help you. I'm sure someone else can. You just gotta give them a little time to wake up.

Sorry.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yangas View Post
How can I get my address, netmask, and gateway?
I think I can set it up if I find out those things.
If you're using DHCP, you shouldn't need to put any of that in. It pulls it from the router right away.

From my google searches, there seems to be something wrong with the drivers for the RTL8111/8168B

·

29,532 Posts
I have the same network card and it works out of the box. Since it's detecting eth0 with ifconfig all that's needed is DHCP configuring.

It may be a problem with NetworkManager.

Try this (in a terminal):

Code:
Code:
sudo killall NetworkManager
sudo dhclient eth0
Another thing that separates Linux/Unix/POSIX from Windows is that it's caps sensitive. Writing 'KiLL 1' is not the same as 'kill 1'

1 - 20 of 26 Posts