1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
392 Posts
I really enjoy the specs on their headphones.

Quote:
Frequency Response: 20-20k Hz
Yeah at what? -3 db? -10db? -50db?

Quote:
Vibration Speaker: 30mm
For what? Head message?

What kind of ticks me off is they don't mention the db spl, which I guess doesn't really matter as it has a built in amp. Which is only thing to avoid as it just adds unneeded distortion if you have a decent mp3 player or pc or something driving it.

Personally I would avoid at all costs. To me $20 Sony's sound just as good, at 1/4th the price. Everyone I know that has(or had) skullcandy's have broke them at least once another due to cheap construction.

In the end its your own opinion when it comes to audio. If your friend likes the sound, comfort, and is comfortable with the price then by all means he should buy them. Honestly though, there are better options imho.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i find the skullcandies to be way too boomy and lacking in clarity. i have a pair of cheap sony joints that i got a bb and they sound way better and were like 24 bucks. all my friends that rock the candies swear by them but they get mad when they keep breaking.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
so what are you asking really?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Ok, I know Skullcandies are overpriced for what they're worth. But honestly for hiphop it wouldn't be a bad idea. They are not as bad as people say they are, being complete garbage. There's way better cans out there for the price, but those cans do put out a decent amount of bass, granted they have lack of sound quality and clarity. IMO I'd guide him to the hd202's.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i wouldnt say they suck but they are like the nike of headphones. do they last longer than most other brands? no. are you paying for popularity and the name brand? yes. they arent horrible, but i dont think the sound is very good overall. i maybe way off but i like to hear my music not just the boom.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
what's their budget..the thing is you can get far better for the money:

Here's a compare of their Ink'ed vs. others in the price range:

($0-$15 range)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...00-added-09-30

The thing is your friend likes a bassy sound signature more. the AD700 isn't really suited fro their type of music tastes.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
here's another one.

To qualify as sub bass, the bass tone needs to be below 60Hz however:

All the bass is mid-bass, which is 80-120Hz.
Not to mention they are made out of cheap materials thus break easily.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deegan View Post
i wouldnt say they suck but they are like the nike of headphones. do they last longer than most other brands? no. are you paying for popularity and the name brand? yes. they arent horrible, but i dont think the sound is very good overall. i maybe way off but i like to hear my music not just the boom.
That's why we don't buy Skullcandies

It's just an overpriced mainstream set of cans. There's dozens and dozens of other manufacturers that offer many different types of cans that we buy that pin-point are exact tastes as far as quality goes. Skullcandy is more like, you like the name, you like bass, and you like paying a little more than you should. If you can steer him away from it please do, but if he likes overwhelming bass and not quality/clarity then you can't hold it against him because the bass is pretty boomy, too much for most

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by goobergump View Post
Skullcandy is more like, you like the name, you like bass, and you like paying a little more than you should. If you can steer him away from it please do, but if he likes overwhelming bass and not quality/clarity then you can't hold it against him because the bass is pretty boomy, too much for most

Totally wrong. You pay for Skullcandy for the marketing and hideous looks:

the Hesh and the TI have minimal bass:

there's some great bass oriented headphones and earphones out there, Skullcandy is far from one of them.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
Totally wrong. You pay for Skullcandy for the marketing and hideous looks:

the Hesh and the TI have minimal bass:

there's some great bass oriented headphones and earphones out there, Skullcandy is far from one of them.
Really? I tried the one's with the woofer and I thought they had more bass than the 202s. And I thought the 202's have plenty of bass, somewhat bloated though.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by goobergump View Post
Really? I tried the one's with the woofer and I thought they had more bass than the 202s. And I thought the 202's have plenty of bass, somewhat bloated though.
quantity of bass does not mean quality of bass. Also as stated in the above graph, it peaks in the mid-bass, not sub-bass.

More bass quantity wise DOES NOT mean it's sub-bass. (A lot of people confuse this and Skullcandy knows this and thus markets it as such).
Sub bass is differently and lower. For me, it's easily to tell by ear. I can tell the difference between 50Hz to 80-100Hz easily. Tonally different sounds.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
quantity of bass does not mean quality of bass. Also as stated in the above graph, it peaks in the mid-bass, not sub-bass.

More bass quantity wise DOES NOT mean it's sub-bass. (A lot of people confuse this and Skullcandy knows this and thus markets it as such).
Sub bass is differently and lower. For me, it's easily to tell by ear. I can tell the difference between 50Hz to 80-100Hz easily. Tonally different sounds.
Ohhhh

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we have succeeded he will not get skullcandies. some recommendations sub-50? fairly noise canceling too.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Sub bass and Mid bass FEEL different, Mid bass is what we refer to when we say "Punchy."

Of he wants a good hip hop can then XB500's which I own are excellent for their price. I gave up the prestigious RX700 for these and have loved every second.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
If he loves Skullcandy, then he loves it. Most likely you can't help it. I met people that swear to Skullycandies because they look cool and have ******ed midbass. They can't listen to my AD-300 because they said it's lacking bass(while the AD-300 has a pretty good amount of bass). It's kinda hard to convert people that are so used to listening to muddy/boomy bass to listening to flat.

If he says he's more of an audiophile than you, he's wrong.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
he is going with the jvc RX700. thanx guys from him. you single/multi handedly prevent profit to go to skullcandy and soon will make a pair of ears very happy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts