Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi . . Thanks first of all for your time and suggestion. I am not new to building pcs. I built a few boxes 15 years ago for fun - I was in college. I work in the IT field, very knowledgeable with hardware and troubleshooting but absolutely no experience with overclocking. I have been reading on and off for a few weeks and ready to work on my first overclocking. Here is what I need and what I don't:<br />
<br />
I am a musician - This will be my DAW(Digital Audio Workstation) sequencing software, multitrack digital audio recording editing with all kinds of speed hungry plugins. Processor speed, HD speed, is very important. I do not play games or watch dvd, Graphics is absolutely not important. I am totally into value - don't need the best but the best value for the price. So far I have decided to go with Conroe E6300 or E6400, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 MObo, 2GB of Value DDR2, SATA II HArd HD, <br />
<br />
Question 1) I just need 2 or 3 monitor setup 1280X1024, as inexpensive as possible - No games remember so I don't see the logic in spending hundreds over graphics card. I'll be fine with a dual display cheap vga card as long as it doesn't effect my processing speed (It shouldn't - but these days even non gamers are spending a lot of money on graphics card, makes me wonder if the graphic card becomes the bottleneck when trying to overclock) I mean I really don't need a $250 card. Will a $50 card affect the performence in any way other than graphics. I need processing power to process my plugins and sound, don't really need a fast/3d/ display or anything. <br />
<br />
I have seen E6300 overclocked at 2.5ghz and close to 4Ghz. Since this is my first venture I want to keep it simple. I will be happy with what ever I can get with stock cooling. Don't really care for a fridge on top of my mobo. Don't wan't to spend too much money on cooling. Don't want it too noisy either. I am not an extreme overclocker. Just want some extra miles out of an inexpensive, E6300 system. How much overclocking can I expect - can I get it up close to 2.7 or 2.8GHz on stock coling and my components I mentioned.<br />
<br />
Also any simple way to overclock tips - basic procedure etc would be appreciated.<br />
<br />
Thanks

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
welcome, and yes, 2.6 or 7 should be good on stock cooling just mind your temps. GFX wont bottleneck your oc, and plz fill out your sys specs in user cp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts