Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so a few months ago my dad got a 1TB external drive and I was allowed some space so I made my self a partition and encrypted it using truecrpyt. sweet, right?

WRONG.

So the memory in my main rig dies here a lil while ago and kind of damages but doesn't take out the boot sector. I need to get to the encrypted partition(which has MANY gigs of stuff(music, movies, pics, game saves, etc.) saved on it, to transfer my personal files off the HDD i need to wipe and reformat. Problem is that I made a really good password consisting of a combo of my 3 most used passwords(w/ caps @ the beginging and numbers @ the end), I CANT REMEMBER IT NOW!!! lol

Is there any way to hack the password w/ something like a brute force attack. I'm no hacker at all so I haven't the slightest idea where to start. I thought there was a clue section that I had in there, but it doesn't show. So yeah.... I'm an idiot, I know.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You may be able to, but if it's a good password, it's gonna take a LONG time to try.
Generally, that's the downside to encryption. If you forget the password, you're stuffed.
The encryption software providers generally build protection against brute force into their software.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
If you used a dual- or triple-layer cascade, you're screwed.

Serpent, Twofish and AES standards used in TrueCrypt are all solid, 256-bit algorithms. Even if you only used a single layer of encryption it would take your rig longer to crack it than it would take for you to download whatever you can get back.

Obviously there's data you'll miss that you can't just download...

Sorry 'bout that, mate.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Im really sorry to hear that, this happened to me a little while ago, kind of the same situation, i ended up giving up and starting over. But what i did do is i started to write all my passwords down, onto a piece of paper that i keep in a locked "safe" kind of box thing, its fireproof and all that so no ones getting in to it without my combination which i highly doubt anyone can think of, and if i ever forget or loose my passwords i can always get into my safe and change retrieve them off my paper.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
TrueCrypt is almost impossible. If I remember right, they said that it would take about 2 month for the most powerful supercomputer to crack it.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
only thing you can really do is keep trying maybe it will jog your memory. good luck

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, thank you sooo much for being courteous.

The password is long(like 27 characters) but is a pretty simple chain.

I'm pretty sure I know what passwords I used to make it up and was wondering if there was a simple tool i could use that'd randomly generate passwords from a set of words/numbers that I give it and it'll try it in the password window till it accepts it.

This is one of those times I wish my dad was a programmer so I'd know programming instead of all my epic hardware skillz, lol.

I'll keep trying tho.

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+rep to all posters.

I gave up and reformatted it(partition X).

If anyone has, or knows of a program that can do what I described in my last post please PM me. It'd be UBER useful for those passwords that I know I know, but dunno, ya know?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by richardshewfelt View Post
Im really sorry to hear that, this happened to me a little while ago, kind of the same situation, i ended up giving up and starting over. But what i did do is i started to write all my passwords down, onto a piece of paper that i keep in a locked "safe" kind of box thing, its fireproof and all that so no ones getting in to it without my combination which i highly doubt anyone can think of, and if i ever forget or loose my passwords i can always get into my safe and change retrieve them off my paper.
That is a good idea, just don't label what passwords are for which purposes. But of course, if you truely want your passwords secure you should only remember them in your head.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
the tool is called pen and paper. next time write it down and put it somewhere
and never change a pass after drinking. i have learned that

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by richardshewfelt
View Post

Until you forget the combination to your safe. Then what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deegan
View Post

the tool is called pen and paper. next time write it down and put it somewhere
and never change a pass after drinking. i have learned that

Agreed 100%. I've found that after drinking its never a good idea to start messing around with your computer.

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
No tool for haxing.... but something i can offer that is somewhat useful.

Password safe.
Install it on a USB drive.
It creates an encrypted file with all your passwords in it. You have 1 main password to get into the program. (make this HARD, and different from ANY other password that you use for anything else).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puscifer View Post
Until you forget the combination to your safe. Then what?

Agreed 100%. I've found that after drinking its never a good idea to start messing around with your computer.
I'd agree with that too, although I've fixed people's computers while drunk before and also exploited a few minor windows vulnerabilities in someone else's while drunk. I was at a party and they had locked it and it was playing some awfully ****ty music, lol. I decided I had to change it.

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rippon
View Post

That is a good idea, just don't label what passwords are for which purposes. But of course, if you truely want your passwords secure you should only remember them in your head.

that is until the government start scanning ur brainz.

*dons tinfoil hat*

sry, tired and random...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by richardshewfelt
View Post

But what i did do is i started to write all my passwords down, onto a piece of paper that i keep in a locked "safe" kind of box thing, its fireproof and all that so no ones getting in to it without my combination which i highly doubt anyone can think of, and if i ever forget or loose my passwords i can always get into my safe and change retrieve them off my paper.

I use this program for all my passwords. Well I only have to remember one of them.
http://keepass.info/

·
Registered
252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puscifer
View Post

That's one of the downsides of drinking... you think you're smarter than when you hadn't had a drink

I think sending yourself a secret message email is the best way to go... they always have backups to the free email places

1 - 17 of 17 Posts