Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on Hells Gate (in my sig), I have started to get these lock ups no mouse or key board response I have done some things to figure it out but to no avail, I posted here thought it maybe Motherboard related http://www.overclock.net/t/1035333/official-asus-sabertooth-amd-owners-club/6530 . I have removed one of the GPU's to eliminate it, still no change, there is no BSOD or any indication, only when I restart ( manually ) I get the usual "windows did not shut down properly" as posted in the link I have done a fresh install on a raw SSD with only ASUS and AMD CCC drivers installed, It locked up before I could get the CCC loaded so I have to believe that it is not a CCC driver or configuration concern when it first started it would not recover (on the original drive), then after the fresh install I noticed that it recovered in a short time (as posted in the link), anyhow could a web browser ( windows 7 stock) cause a lock up/ freeze up? I am not a software kinda person , I will swap out the other GPU to eliminate it after that I am at a loss. any insight to my dilemma would be much appreciated

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Lock ups are usually memory related.
Have you tried looking in Event Viewer and seeing what was going on just before a lockup?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsim44 View Post

I am working on Hells Gate (in my sig), I have started to get these lock ups no mouse or key board response I have done some things to figure it out but to no avail, I posted here thought it maybe Motherboard related http://www.overclock.net/t/1035333/official-asus-sabertooth-amd-owners-club/6530 . I have removed one of the GPU's to eliminate it, still no change, there is no BSOD or any indication, only when I restart ( manually ) I get the usual "windows did not shut down properly" as posted in the link I have done a fresh install on a raw SSD with only ASUS and AMD CCC drivers installed, It locked up before I could get the CCC loaded so I have to believe that it is not a CCC driver or configuration concern when it first started it would not recover (on the original drive), then after the fresh install I noticed that it recovered in a short time (as posted in the link), anyhow could a web browser ( windows 7 stock) cause a lock up/ freeze up? I am not a software kinda person , I will swap out the other GPU to eliminate it after that I am at a loss. any insight to my dilemma would be much appreciated
First of all, I'd like to congratulate you on the world's longest run on sentence I have ever seen on a forum. By my count there's a whopping 2 total periods in that entire post.

If you want us to help you, some more information is in order. When do the lockups occur? Not all system lock ups are memory problems. If these lock ups are happening when you use a specific application, that would be helpful to know. Secondly, if you look in the event viewer log right after rebooting the system, you can usually glean some information as to the cause of those lockups.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not know how to access the "event viewer". It happens randomly. No applications were running during the last freeze up. I did run fur mark twice. It did not freeze up during the test or benchmarking. In the link I have previously posted there is some back story. It is not edited with proper punctuation.

Is that better?

I remembered how to get into the event viewer. I will do some looking around, I did see something and already updating the CCC. I started the install or reinstall of said driver and it locked up. One of the report icons said something about memory leak (PR*).

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Open Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL).
Choose the Processes tab
Click the words Memory (Private Working Set) at the top of the column.
Watch and see if anything 's memory usage keeps going up for no reason.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsim44 View Post

as soon as it's done with the 146 updates, at 115, what a pain,
146 updates. is that Windows + MS Office product updates?? Doesn't sound like you've updated your OS in a while. Don't run anything else. Make sure you install all the necessary updates and see if the lockups continue to happen or not.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dude you really need to read the context and not focus on the punctuation. I have posted the fact it is a fresh install, more than once. Since SP1 there have been a few updates, 146. I did try and refrain myself from feeding into your lack of comprehension, unfortunately I feel if nothing is said it will continue. "if nothing changes....nothing changes". I appreciate the effort, but please pay attention.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
From the pictures I can't tell if you're showing me what is using as lot of memory or what's memory usage is growing.
If one on the instances of svchost is growing you need something to look further, as svchost is a process that runs one or more services.
Process Explorer (download from Microsoft's TechNet) will give you more granularity.
Hover over the questionable instance of svchost and a popup will show you what services it is running.
You can also click a process for a lot of additional info.

You can then use (Admimistrative Tools) Services to temporarily stop each service and see which is the culprit.

That doesn't really give you a "fix" but sure will help head you in the right direction if it is a memory leak.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not swapped out the #2 GPU as of yet, instead I opted to run Memtest86 I let it run 2 hours and 15 min, not a single error. Go figure this rig has been on 5+ hours without a hitch. I reset ram modules this morning, didn't see anything that was questionable they were all seated. I am thinking that there was some dust or something. but I am not convinced.

when the scvhost was at it's peak nothing but the manager was opened. once I opened IE that number dropped and the IE memory consumption increased but not to an abnormal amount, or unreasonable
amount I should say.

I will check that link out Thank you.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Use a different Keyboard and Mouse, along with unplugging any unused USB Devices.
When plugging in USB Devices, sometimes the computer can lock others up for a second while it detects it.

Your mouse or keyboard might be malfunctioning, and causing a temporary disconnect and reconnect, triggering the short USB lockup.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow11377 View Post

Use a different Keyboard and Mouse, along with unplugging any unused USB Devices.
When plugging in USB Devices, sometimes the computer can lock others up for a second while it detects it.

Your mouse or keyboard might be malfunctioning, and causing a temporary disconnect and reconnect, triggering the short USB lockup.
it's funny you should say that. it forced me to remember that I just added two 6" extension cables (USB) to the mouse and KB. One on each as the rig is further away than before. I did switch them/ add them with it shut off.

@billbartuska
I ran the program and nothing is jumping out at me, and we are still running. I took a screen shot.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there does not seem to be any thing growing as to point to a leak of memory, could it have been from a program say something on the system side left open in the sense that a corrupt or broken command in the program?

On another note I have received my 256g SSD back today. which was my original OS drive, anyhow, I sent OCZ a Vertex 4 256g drive that was unresponsive. It was a RF version (refurbished), I got back a Vector 256g RF drive. I am torn between raising heck or just letting it go. the numbers are very close I originally got the Vertex 4 for the 560mb read speeds, for the OS. The Vector has 550mb read speed, but has a higher write at 530 vs 510mb so it is very close. I think I will just trow it in the box and call it a day. I will do another fresh install later on tonight and start this whole process all over again. I want to thank all that contributed to this thread if it should show again I will respond.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts