Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a RAID 6 on a HighPoint 2720SGL card.

Over the past 6 months, I thought I've been having intermittent hard drive failures, but after checking I noticed that the drives were actually fine. The either disappear or show that the drive has failed, but after a restart it shows up fine. The toughest part has been that the behavior is not consistent. Sometimes after a restart, everything looks fine and it starts rebuilding, but after 10 hours it will fail and either show that the drives aren't there or they're bad.

I have a feeling it's my RAID card. I don't know if it's possible to backup my RAID config and transfer to a new card. Thankfully, I recently backup all my content. My 2nd theory is that it could be the power supply.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot:

- Checked all the power and sata cables and tried switching them out between drives
- Changed my power supply about 8 months ago.
- Since drives were appearing and disappearing, i thought it could be the SATA cables so I replaced the mini SAS to SATA cables that go from the card into my drives.

At this point I'm either thinking about getting a new card or power supply. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Final bump.

I'm thinking of trying a different RAID card and just starting from scratch.

Can anyone recommend a good RAID card that's not too expensive and can support RAID 6 and 7-8 drives?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts