I have bought a new pc with the following components:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING (1.0) BIOS version: F3g
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3K2/8
Video: GIGABYTE GeForce® GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Power: Xilence Performance A+ XP530R8
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB
HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA ST4000DM004

When I Bought this configuration the memory modules were running at 2400mhz.
On the box the memory speed stated 3200mhz.
I asked my dealer how this came and how to get it to 3200mhz and he explained about XMP and Manual timings settings.

I first tried XMP profile 1 which was:
3200mhz 16-18-18-36 1.35V

When you restarted the pc gave 3 beeps, shutdown, restarted, gave 3 beeps, shutdown, restarted, gave one beep, shutdown, restarted and was back at 2400mhz.

The same happened for XMP profile 2 which was:
3000mhz 15-17-17-34 1.35V

Then I tried to adjust the settings manual.
I had the timings on 16-18-18-36 and voltage on 1.35V
and put the mhz to 2933mhz.

This worked for a day.

The next day I went back trying to adjust the settings and had the idea to put in the timings and mhz from the XMP profile manually.
I put it on 3000mhz 15-17-17-34 1.35V and restarted.

This time there where no beeps.
PC didn't startup anymore.
Nothing at all.

On the motherboard the CPU light was on and switched to the DRAM light every second and back to CPU real quick.

I tried to reset the BIOS by means of the jumper and by pulling out the battery but nothing changed.

I finally ended up going back to the dealer and they tested the CPU, Motherboard and RAM modules.

The CPU was fine and the RAM modules were fine.
The Motherboard was broken.

They had to send it back to Gigabyte.

I got a new motherboard from the dealer and left the memory alone this time.

But I keep wondering how and why this happened?
How is it possible for the motherboard to brake when using the XMP settings?

Why didn't the motherboard just behafe the same as when choosing the XMP profiles and gave three beeps and resets itself?

Is this normal behaviour or was there something wrong with the motherboard to begin with?

Can I safely try to set it to XMP profile 1 again on my new motherboard or is this one also going to brake then?

I'm really afraid and confused.
When you read on the inet about the XMP profiles and Manually setting timings everyone is saying that when something goes wrong you only have to reset the bios in order to get it to work again.

Why was that not the case with this motherboard?

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
Could have just been a lemon. Boards with hard to detect faults can sneak past the QC checks.
Hopefully the replacement will be fine. Ensure you have the latest BIOS installed, and go for it. If it dies again, insist on a replacement board from a different brand.

Edit: If it gives you trouble, up the SOC voltage a tad. Don't go over 1.2v on that setting under any circumstances.

·
Iconoclast
30,429 Posts
The failure could have been entirely unrelated to changing memory timings.

It's not unheard of for exceptionally flaky settings to corrupt a BIOS image, but if you tried the second BIOS and it still wouldn't POST, that's most likely a hardware failure of some sort, and probably just a defective board sample.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi there! I have the same issue and i think its your RAM ,because i have the same ram and motherboard .
The firsty one died after overclocking my to 3000MT/s ,it ran good for 3 days.
After rebooting the pc the RAM led was blinking and the board was dead for sure ,so the board is replaced with a brand new one and now i am afraid to do something with the RAM.

Mijn engels is slecht excuus daarvoor!

Kingston is the problem!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe RAM OC sped up the failure, but that's certainly not a normal behaviour for any board, let alone a pricey one. I'd give it a go and if it fails again you should demand your money back or a different mobo whatsoever.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe RAM OC sped up the failure, but that's certainly not a normal behaviour for any board, let alone a pricey one. I'd give it a go and if it fails again you should demand your money back or a different mobo whatsoever.
It has failed but i could this time boot with a stick of crucial memory ,after two hours of BIOS resets the board finaly did a POST.
So went to the BIOS and set the ram on 2133MT/s ,save and exit and power off the system after second POST.
Put back the kingstons and set manual speed and timings.It runs great now but no RAM OC any more...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I had this on an old 990FX board, found out it was one of the Ram sticks just died a death.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Interesting.. you think it was the RAM at fault.. so you change the motherboard.. and use the same RAM.. again.. and then come and tell us you'll never buy that motherboard brand again..

Have i missed something? Because just by counting how many things are wrong in the above sentence, i get a headache.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts