Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to upgrade my computer using about 200 dollars to get me by until i build a new system at some point. right now i have

cpu - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W
gpu - EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
memory - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
motherboard - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

im looking for the best bang for my buck right now i have everything just at stock settings im not sure why but i think i had some trouble overclocking with this motherboard so i just left it how it was i cant really remember what the problem was since i got this in like 2009 and have not tried to over clock it since when i bought it. thanks for any suggestions. i mostly use this pc to play games

·
Bite my shiny metal GPU!
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinoutactrl View Post

im looking to upgrade my computer using about 200 dollars to get me by until i build a new system at some point. im looking for the best bang for my buck right now i have everything just at stock settings im not sure why but i think i had some trouble overclocking with this motherboard so i just left it how it was i cant really remember what the problem was since i got this in like 2009 and have not tried to over clock it since when i bought it. thanks for any suggestions. i mostly use this pc to play games
Without knowing the resolution of your monitor, perhaps a new video card would be in order? At the price point you're looking at, a GTX 660 or Radeon 7870 would fit the bill.

·
Registered
845 Posts
1-Video card
2-SSD for boot purposes
3-upgraded cpu cooler and over clock it

I'm not suggesting you do all this with $200, if you game regularly that's the order I would spend money on. Even buying a more entry level type card the more and faster ram would help.
An ssd will improve the singl slowest thing in your computer. The hard drive. Fast boots are sweet.
Check THIS out. Its an I7 overclocking guide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my resolution is 1920 x 1080 and i have a an upgraded cpu fan a zalman so i can overclock it i think i cant rememebr what the problem was before im updating my bios right now and then ill do some research to overclock it some i have not tried since 2009 because it pretty much runs everything but with the newer games you can tell i culd use an upgrade now. i was thinking video card will be my best option

·
Registered
845 Posts
I had a 5770 which is/was similar in performance to your 260. Once I went to 1080 the 1gb of ram wouldn't even run (nicely) civ 5. You'll be looking at something like the hd 7850 or gtx 650ti for under 200. The 660 and 7870 start just over $200.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i was looking at some 660 for about 229 i will only buy evga video card just because i love there customer service and have always been happy with there products. right now i just updated my bios and am messing around overclocking this right now. i play civ 5 also. im trying get the most out of my pc before sim city comes out tommorow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts