Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help figuring out what is wrong.

I have been having some random reboots (surfing the net, screensaver, that kind of stuff) almost since the beginning of the build 6 weeks ago. Since then I have replaced: Mobo x3, CPU x2, RAM x0.

The main problem I was having with the previous mobo and cpu was an inability to pass prime blend at stock settings. It would instantly fail all four cores. I, and many others, assumed it was a bad IMC on the chip, and so I basically shut the rig down. The system would reboot every time it ran the screensaver, maybe not right away but 95% of the time it would within an hour.

Graphics card is stock and runs very cool. All drivers are the newest, as is the bios.

I just got a new C3 965 today, and threw it in to the system. I had the third mobo replacement sitting in the box, never opened, waiting for the cpu.

I put the board and cpu in, flash the bios to 1.7 official (newest), and fire it up on the SSD's. Get into Windows, and it instantly fails prime blend on all auto settings. So, I boot into Windows in ide mode on one of my storage drives and it does the same thing. It had been doing this on the prior cpu mobo combo and everyone I had talked to said it sounded like the chip, agreed.

Memory has always passed Memtest86+ 4.0 for more than 7 hrs, even at 1680mhz 7-7-7-16-30 1.75v. So I am assuming it is not the RAM, I originally thought the IMC on the chip was bad. I am running Memtest right now (1066mhz 7-7-7-24), and it is 90% of the way through the first pass, about 25 mins.

Windows was a fresh install on the two brand new SSD's, 2 weeks ago. The drives are 1.41 fw, and sanitary erased, all the appropriate settings and tweaks were done, and the gave excellent performance, so I'm thinking it's not something to do with the SSD's, especially since the problem also exists when booting into Windows on the WD 750GB drive in ide mode.

I do have two sets of Corsair DDR3, but the board wouldn't post with them 10 days ago on the previous mobo and cpu, so I can try it, but haven't yet.

It just finished the first pass of Memtest, no errors.

I have no idea what's going on here and I really hope someone can help me figure out what it is.

Marc

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Scott
View Post

It sounds to me like you may have a Power Supply issue, do you have another PSU you could use in your rig to see if the problem persists?

It's a brand new Corsair TX 750w, as of about 6 weeks ago. I do run the cables along the back/side panel, so I have just pulled the back panel off and checked the connections, and I will leave it off and test.

I do have a Sigma Shark 585w (38A with two rails), but it is not strong enough for the 4890 with the system, which is exactly why I bought the Corsair.

It will pass 3dmarkVantage (but not prime blend) without problems, so I'm guessing it's not a power supply issue, yes, no?

Marc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts