Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey .. I was reading up on

http://www.overclock.net/ati/28036-h...x850-x800.html

but didnt specifically see anything about the x800xtpe being able to be upgraded

am I stuck with this version?

I have used ati tool and clocked it fro, 520/560 to 571/600 and it runs fairly stable, overclocked cpu seems to help bottlenecks, anywhere past 3.6ghz and it seems okay..

I would be looking for a bios mod or something, to keep this card permanently overclocked (maybe not that high, on extremely hot days i can get a lockup)

can someone point me in the right direction? from what ive read this card is limited in terms of oc'ing....if someone could point in the right direction that'd be good, thanks!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The X800 XTPE is the highest of its class (Same core however). In other words, the XTPE is fully pumped up! to the highest standards. Better than x800 pro and XT. The XTPE is already unlocked with 16 pipes + i believe its already in high settings.

The link you provided goes for modding for the X800 pro's. These x800 pros (pro versions, not XT or XTPE) are locked and the bios provided in that link is for softmodding. Its literally changing the card to an XTPE from a low pro version. (Because we are so cheap!)

"am i Stuck with this version?"
Yup, but remember its the highest of it's class. Your card does not need softmodding !! but surely! you can overclock it!. Use Ati tool to overclock the speeds!. However, Your CPU does seem pretty low status and it may bottleneck yourcomputer. Similiar to my problems, My cpu is bottlenecking me also. And i tried overclocking, but not much performance increase due to the weak processor.

My suggestions are:
to improve performance, I perfer buying a new processor. If socet 775 supports PCI-E. surely go for a stronger INTEL cpu!. It'll definently stop bottlenecking your video card and use up all that ram yo uhave.

I hope this helps . !Good luck

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalman2785

Ask and you shall recieve!

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showth...conductive+pen

Volt modding is an option. You could also get better cooling for it.

Thanks. I recently bought this card, ripping the fan/hs off and putting arctic paste under there was enuf for me

I did read that though, it's very interesting. I'm kinda annoyed now I didnt realise I could have spent less on a card and got similar performance, oh well.

This is an AGP card. 775 does support PCI-e, but I am not going to make the jump yet. My mobo could take a presler I think, if I knew I would be in this situation now I would have upgraded mobo to one w/ dual channel ddr2, 775 & PCI-e.. I was considering even getting a new mobo anyway, but you can't get an AGP w/ ddr2 dual channel, 775 (I dont think, but feel free to let me know if one exists)

I am going to test it now. I dont think my CPU bottlenecks my card, 353 AVG FPS w/ ATI Tool (after a few minutes) was the highest i've seen, around 340 FPS im really squeezing to get any higher, but if someone can get higher FPS's then please let me know
6600~ is the highest 3DMArk score I've got on it, I think that's around it's max..

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhireX

I am going to test it now. I dont think my CPU bottlenecks my card, 353 AVG FPS w/ ATI Tool (after a few minutes) was the highest i've seen, around 340 FPS im really squeezing to get any higher, but if someone can get higher FPS's then please let me know
6600~ is the highest 3DMArk score I've got on it, I think that's around it's max..

It can go faster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts