Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I’m looking to build a new computer for video editing, I will be mainly using Adobe CS5 (Premiere Pro and After Effects), editing HD footage and compositing work.

Unfortunately the last time I built a computer was about 6 years ago and technology has changed considerably since then!

Nonetheless, I have decided to go with the following:

Quote:

CPU: Intel i7-950
COOLER: Noctua NH-D14
MOBO: Asus P6X58D-E
RAM: G.Skill Eco Series 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-24 -- (x3 / 12GB total)
STORAGE: 4 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (Raid 10)
GFX: Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition

I’ve been doing some research on the i7 chipset and noticed that I may have issues with the RAM that I would like to discuss (In total there will be 12GB of RAM using up all six memory banks).

By reading other posts I have discovered that it may be a massive PITA to get this stuff running stable at 1600MHz due to stresses on the IMC. Another problem is I don’t really want to OC the CPU from the get go and was wondering if it would be possible to get the RAM up to 1600MHz with just the memory multiplier and QPI?

If that’s not possible, could I get it running stable with the RAM set at 1333MHz?
I’ve also considered using three sticks of 4GB (better tha 6x2GB?) but it appears to push the price up quite a bit

If anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
You can use the 12x memory multiplier to get 133x12 for 1596MHz on the memory.

It would be easier on the IMC if you went with a 3x4GB kit, but with a bit of effort you should be able to get 6 sticks to work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response bassplayer
Unfortunately I can't find any decent 3x4GB kits in the UK (and at a decent price).

By running the ECO's at 1.5v, would I be right saying it would stress the IMC less than 1.65v modules, and the CPU would run cooler?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi,

i am actually running the 12GB of my sig rig at 1531MHz. that's with 191*21 for the CPU. RAM is at 1.55v, vtt (qpi/dram) at 1.2v. though my RAM kit is rated at 1.65v, i did not notice either performance of temperature drop when lowering it to its present value.

i guess you should be fine if you do not face incompatibility issues between RAM & mobo. i had to ram both mobo & ram because of both faulty components...

from my experience i would say it is a matter of good match between mobo & ram. i would recommend you stick to the qvl of your mobo.

hope that helps !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello fockwulf thank you very much for sharing your experiences!

Quote:
I guess you should be fine if you do not face incompatibility issues between RAM & mobo. i had to ram both mobo & ram because of both faulty components...
Sorry to hear that
I hope I won't have to face compatibility issues, I don't mean to sound obnoxious but are the chances high or low? worth the risk?
However im a bit worried about issues with the mobo and ram as it seems many people receive faulty sticks and others have trouble getting the mobo to register all of the ram etc.

Quote:
From my experience i would say it is a matter of good match between mobo & ram. i would recommend you stick to the qvl of your mobo.
I've had a quick snoop of the QVL and typed some of the product codes into google. I find it's 50/50 if the search returns any results and the RAM can be purchased in the UK. Is the QVL up to date? (or im just out of luck
)

I mainly searched for the G.Skill stuff as it's cheap, but some of the kits on the QVL are either too expensive or don't seem to match the ECO's performance. However I did come across some other RAM in the process (not on the QVL though!), has XMP profiles, recommended for x58 and the price is right. What do you think? Link

1 - 6 of 6 Posts