Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can put a computer together no problem. Order the parts, slap it all together, no problem. I'm familiar with the inside of a PC case, where everything needs to go, and how much space it's going to take up once it gets there.

Water cooling though...man, this is tough for a beginner. No, I'm not getting a H50.

I need to order everything and put it together. But how do I know what to order? It's important that the individual components mesh with others in the loop, but how do I know where to put everything? Internal or external res? Blowholes or rear/front-mounted rads?

I've read lots of intro guides to water cooling, and they've been a tremendous help. I also read almost every topic in this forum. However, I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. That makes me uncomfortable spending money on parts because I may have to return them, if they can be returned at all after I've tried them out.

Any advice?

PS: I'm not worried about putting it together wrong. I'm paranoid about my new build, so the loop's going to run outside of the PC for a few weeks.
Will need to simulate the additional pressure from hot water somehow too to really test it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The parts don't necessarily have to "mesh" with others in your loop just be sure they all have the same size fittings
Any combination of pump+block+res+radiator+tubing should do fine as long as they are solid performers. You just need to decide if you want to do all internal water cooling (if your case is big enough) or do partially external setup. Other than that you don't have to worry to much on what parts you order. If you have any more questions just reply and i'll help you out

·
Registered
149 Posts
I feel your pain.

If you see my WC'ed sig rig, I just completed it last week. From planning, ordering, assembly, case-modding, etc., i was about a month to do the whole build.

What parts are right for you will depend on a lot of factors.

The two top questions I would ask is:

1) What is your priority?: cooling power or quietness? This will affect your choices of rads and fans.
2) How much space are you willing to let it take up?: are you willing to build an external mount / chassis for rads, etc., or do you want it as clean and contained within the case as possible?
3) Try to estimate the wattage generated by the parts that you want to cool. Radiators can only dissipate so much heat, so if you're cooling a lot of parts, you may want to consider a dual loop setup.

Once you know what you want from the system, you can start to spec out rads, blocks, etc.

In terms of parts "meshing", there are a few considerations:

1) Get a pump with enough head pressure or GPM to get the most out of your rad and keep your parts cool. For many people, the Swiftech MCP355 and MCP655-B do the trick nicely (I'm using 655s on my two loops).
2) Don't mix aluminum and copper parts in your loop, or you'll have problems with corrosion. I've seen some debate about how bad this can be if you use a corrosion inhibitor in your coolant, but the general sentiment is just don't do it.
3)Get fans suited for your rad. Some rads like/need fans with high CFM or static pressure, some are designed to work very well with sub-2000RPMers.

Beyond those, a lot of your loop design will come down to your preferences and how you want the loop to be organized in your case. Check out what blocks are available for your CPU/GPU/Motherboard (or whatever you want to cool) and start doing some comparisons: narrow it down to a couple and ask your fellow OCN'ers for reviews.

Personally, I chose my blocks after a lot of reading and am very pleased with them.

·
Registered
953 Posts
to simulate load u can buid a dummy block that phase builders use or u can ghetto load it

i dont have the time or need to build a dummy block so how do i simulate load , plastick bowl filled with baby oil 100w or 200W light bulb in the oil turn the light on oil gets hot , take a coat hanger and cut 2 stips of wire to act as a bridge over the bowl bend wire in senter so the block base is touching the oil

turn the light on and then ur loop it will load ur block as if it had a 100w or 200w cpu under it depending on choice of bulb its not the best looking set up but it works

when ur done testing a bit of alky and a rag and ur block is clean and no longer greasy

·
Banned
435 Posts
Post how much you want to spend and overclock.net is like watercooling for 'Dummies"! LOL Some fine member will build an awesome WC system for you and get you the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips and encouragement everybody.

I plan to go with a completely internal loop or two, in a Lian-Li A-71F. It's a beast of a case and seems to have plenty of room, but I don't know if I'll be able to fit a second loop in there. Noise-wise, I don't want any more noise than I have now (crappy stock cooling in an old, old case). However, I'm willing to spend money on rads that can deal with lower airflow and fans to make it work.

I guess the problem is that I'm too flexible and therefore have too many options. And yeah, when you don't know the pros and cons of various components, too many options is a problem.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, so work is even more overwhelming that first time watercooling and I've just developed seasonal allergies which are kicking my hiney. So...anyone willing to help me design a pair of loops?

I don't want to say that price isn't an issue, because it is, but I'm not looking to OC for numbers.

Starting materials:
- CPU (loop 1)
i7 920 D0, going to OC it as much as is safe

- Motherboard (loop 1)
EVGA X58 3xSLI

- Case
Lian Li PC-A71F

- Monitor
Haven't purchased anything yet, but big and widescreen. Maybe two.

- GPU (loop 2)
Starting with one powerful card and later SLI/Crossfire a second.

- OS
Windows 7

- Primary uses
Gaming, virtual machines, and misc Adobe products. I'd only play Crysis for the story and most of my games are strategy/RTS, so I don't need insane FPS.

Thinking dual loops because I'm not sure what two hefty GPUs will do to a loop when I also add in an OC'd 920.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
176 Posts
i personally think 1 loop will be fine, especially for a beginner

a single loop can handle crossfire and a gpu, just add more rad, or hook up 2 mcp355

a single 320 rad (such as 360 gtx) can dissipate up well over 1000 watt for every 10 C difference between it and the ambient temperature (depending on fan choice)

and that is for EVERY 10C above ambient.

·
Registered
176 Posts
no i think most setups fall into low or med fan speed (1000 - 1400 rpm fans), i'm using 2 mcr 320s and i'm planning to undervolt yl dl12sl12 fans for it

i think most setups are low rpm fans

only the gtx, and tfc x changer require high speed fans to shine

i'm mainly doing wc for quiet, and i'm hoping that having 2 320 rads for just a 285 and q6600 will enable me to OC as well

EDIT: oh yea, note that that is with a 10 C delta of water to intake air temp.

for more concise results, visit:

http://skinneelabs.com/triplesv2.html?page=4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts